Bad things you have done at your work

A job I had a while between stints working with @nodle we had a few fun tech times.

First week of training the 2 main guys (long time tech and IT coordinator) have 2 in one office and 2 in the other. I am like what are we doing? Here we are playing Halo multiplayer and later Battlefield 2. Team of 4 techs which at the time were pretty cool.

Same job, me and the other tech were working summer at the high school. Loved those shifts. We worked 4 "10" hour days in the summer and plenty of free time. We did get our tasks done but still plenty of free time. While swapping out old hardware from one room we decided to see what would it look like to drop an old CRT monitor from a pretty high location. Yep, "exploded" like expected. Only draw back was the clean up.

Same guy and I would also spend a lot of time in the high school's tech office. We had a lot of old CDs to go through and dispose of so we did...by throwing them as hard as we could towards the far wall near the ceiling. Again, a lot of clean up but fun. Funny was when the janitors came to clean they found shards we didn't get clean as they did a deep clean of the ceiling and high cabinets. They were like "what were you guys doing in here and so mad at?".

One day we hooked up his ipod to the auditoriums projector and watched some tech tv show on it. Lights off and was tired so fell asleep.

Two recent electrocution stories, nothing spectacular but still.

We had to install a new network device (something specifically for Voip phones), and luckily I had a certified tech of the units company there to help config it. I asked before plugging it in if it was ok, he said sure go ahead. The thing fried after a few seconds and popped. Looks like it wasn't compatible with 240v and only 120v (He felt guilty and would have thought it would work anyway with both voltages like most expensive devices, so he just put in an RMA on it, no questions asked.

The next one I didn't touch, but it was similar. We had an older, yet working all in one display for rugged environments. I wanted to get it running, but needed a custom made power cord. One of the electricians was there to help and assumed it was compatible to directly plug into a 120v outlet, so he took a regular power cord and striped the other end to wire in the device. Once it was plugged in, it popped and fried as well. Luckily it was only a fuse.

When I was around 12 years old, I was with a friend at the time (he was a very poor influence by any accounts) and I went with him to KFC to pick up the loose trash around their workplace outside for a free small chicken sandwich. When we were all done, my friend took the whole box full of garbage and put it in the back of someone's car that had an open trunk that was in the drive thru and I kind of just went with it. The lady in the car saw us and followed us inside the building and scolded us.

put it in the back of someone's car that had an open trunk that was in the drive thru and I kind of just went with it.
:ROFLMAO:

I was working a summer seasonal position for a company after graduating high school, and was doing general maintenance work. One day I was doing yard work, and went to put in a patio umbrella back into the table's hole in the middle. I didn't put the pole in the stabilizer at the bottom and the pole leaned all the way to one side and put a lot of torque on the glass top, making it shatter into thousands of pieces. I just embarrassingly left. I can't remember, but I think the maintenance worker there saw it and when I saw him he mentioned it and I told him what I did. I took a shop vac to it and was no big issue to him.

Just remembered this one. When customers use to come in the store and the door buzzer would ding, me and @C Pav would see who could get up the fastest and either run to the bathroom or hide behind doors so they the secretary couldn't find us or the other tech would get stuck helping them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remembered this one. It was around Christmas time and they sold these chocolate Santa Clauses by the front registers. They were wrapped in a foil. We also had an isle with medicines. On the shelf they sold chocolate Ex Lax. They came in these little squares that you can break apart. We took one of the Santa Clauses in back and carefully unwrapped the foil. Then took an Exacto knife and cute the chocolate out of the back and took about 6 squares and places them inside then proceeded to place the chocolate back back on then re-wrapped it back up to look like new. Then we gave it to a coworker and he ate it all standing there. I think you were suppose to only take one square. He ate 6 at once. I never did hear what happened after that.

Just remembered this one. It was around Christmas time and they sold these chocolate Santa Clauses by the front registers. They were wrapped in a foil. We also had an isle with medicines. On the shelf they sold chocolate Ex Lax. They came in these little squares that you can break apart. We took one of the Santa Clauses in back and carefully unwrapped the foil. Then took an Exacto knife and cute the chocolate out of the back and took about 6 squares and places them inside then proceeded to place the chocolate back back on then re-wrapped it back up to look like new. Then we gave it to a coworker and he ate it all standing there. I think you were suppose to only take one square. He ate 6 at once. I never did hear what happened after that.
That's hilarious!

Back