The sports cards mega thread

C Pav

Reaction score
I think anything relating to collectable or able to be scalped is seeing insane prices. Take sports cards. You laugh and give me a hard time but if you only knew how utterly insane it has blown up. You don't know the pain I can't shake from selling my pride and joy Shaq and Kobe collection back in 2006. I got 3800 for it and would be well over 100k but never can buy it back due to the daily increase in anything card related. I think about it every day and wish I never sold it or wish I never got back to being interested in the hobby again.

I think anything relating to collectable or able to be scalped is seeing insane prices. Take sports cards. You laugh and give me a hard time but if you only knew how utterly insane it has blown up. You don't know the pain I can't shake from selling my pride and joy Shaq and Kobe collection back in 2006. I got 3800 for it and would be well over 100k but never can buy it back due to the daily increase in anything card related. I think about it every day and wish I never sold it or wish I never got back to being interested in the hobby again.
Sports cards are indeed crazy. The appreciation on my Mahomes graded rookies is insane. I've even sold a few along the way for double the money but I wish I would have kept them all. Hanging on to the rest of his stuff for years down the road.

My sister really got into collecting basketball cards when she was in high school. I remember when Topps came out with their holographic series of cards, those were pretty amazing.

So @C Pav showed me some cards on Ebay this morning and their prices and how they have skyrocketed. It got me wondering if they are turning like art. They say that artwork is one of the largest markets for money laundering. I wonder if that explains what is happening? :unsure:

I've heard the Jordan Fleer rookie compared to this generation's Warhol or Van Gogh paintings.

So @C Pav are you going to sell your cards and retire now? Prices are insane!

So @C Pav are you going to sell your cards and retire now? Prices are insane!
I don't have anything good anymore. Well, I do but it's not what I once had.

I don't have anything good anymore. Well, I do but it's not what I once had.
If you figured out what you have paid for what you have now, and compared it to what yours are worth, what percentage of increase do you think you have?

If you figured out what you have paid for what you have now, and compared it to what yours are worth, what percentage of increase do you think you have?
Tough to say overall since I bought a lot. Some to hold long term because potentially will hold value like Mike Trout. Some because young but have potential to be "the next Mike Trout". Last is my personal collection of Chicago White Sox. I am glad I guess I never got rid of those and never will.
Kobe Bryant and Shaq were my huge collecting passion from 92 until I sold them in 2006. Never had thought I see them explode like they have especially Kobe but he is an all time great, like Jordan, and will never go down. Sure this crazy market may slow down and come back to a little normal but I don't see the greatest, like Jordan, Mantle, Kobe, Shaq and others ever being a bad investment long term as I am sure another crazy surge will happen. Only way you lose everything is if the country completely collapses which if that happens money and cards and anything you own is the least of yours and our worries. Tell me when has Mantle, Jordan, Kobe or any other superstar ever lost value? That is why I don't see how you would feel any less "safe" compared to investing in stocks. At the very least you have some "crappy paper" with pictures of athletes. I suppose having a desire to collect also helps wanting to do the card market but also suppose if you want to make money can't get too attached. I am however.

Anyway, to answer the question I will list what I paid for the big ones I know. Grading is the big driving factor now.

Mike Trout PSA 10 2011 Topps Update. Paid $800 - Now ~$7500 and has been as high as $8000+.

Mike Trout PSA 10 2011 Bowman Chrome #175 - Paid about $600 - Now $4200+

Fernando Tatis 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire raw - Paid about $400-$450 - Now $1200. Graded 10 would be $4000-$5000 (I have 2 raw. Bought 1 and other was from a box break)

Also have Fernando Tatis Jr. 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire green and orange autos from the same set I got in personal box breaks so cost was about $1000 (each box was about 180 or so but I bought a lot) raw I don't know value I would say orange ~4500-5000+ and green $2500-$3000 but a 10 orange would be $11000 and green no idea.

That's just a very small sample of everything I now have.

Tough to say overall since I bought a lot. Some to hold long term because potentially will hold value like Mike Trout. Some because young but have potential to be "the next Mike Trout". Last is my personal collection of Chicago White Sox. I am glad I guess I never got rid of those and never will.Kobe Bryant and Shaq were my huge collecting passion from 92 until I sold them in 2006. Never had thought I see them explode like they have especially Kobe but he is an all time great, like Jordan, and will never go down. Sure this crazy market may slow down and come back to a little normal but I don't see the greatest, like Jordan, Mantle, Kobe, Shaq and others ever being a bad investment long term as I am sure another crazy surge will happen. Only way you lose everything is if the country completely collapses which if that happens money and cards and anything you own is the least of yours and our worries. Tell me when has Mantle, Jordan, Kobe or any other superstar ever lost value? That is why I don't see how you would feel any less "safe" compared to investing in stocks. At the very least you have some "crappy paper" with pictures of athletes. I suppose having a desire to collect also helps wanting to do the card market but also suppose if you want to make money can't get too attached. I am however.

Anyway, to answer the question I will list what I paid for the big ones I know. Grading is the big driving factor now.

Mike Trout PSA 10 2011 Topps Update. Paid $800 - Now ~$7500 and has been as high as $8000+.

Mike Trout PSA 10 2011 Bowman Chrome #175 - Paid about $600 - Now $4200+

Fernando Tatis 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire raw - Paid about $400-$450 - Now $1200. Graded 10 would be $4000-$5000 (I have 2 raw. Bought 1 and other was from a box break)

Also have Fernando Tatis Jr. 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire green and orange autos from the same set I got in personal box breaks so cost was about $1000 (each box was about 180 or so but I bought a lot) raw I don't know value I would say orange ~4500-5000+ and green $2500-$3000 but a 10 orange would be $11000 and green no idea.

That's just a very small sample of everything I now have.
I'm guessing you have many many Luis Robert rookies :cool:

I'm guessing you have many many Luis Robert rookies :cool:
Hmm, maybe...yeah actually. Got in on most of them super cheap too as was one guy I targeted before his prices went insane. I also bought some at "insane" prices sort of. I guess I could try and do the gains on those as well but so many not sure where to begin. Eloy was/is another guy I bought a ton of.

I haven't looked lately but I would imagine baseball card prices are going up now that spring training is around the corner.

I haven't looked lately but I would imagine baseball card prices are going up now that spring training is around the corner.
Actually they never had a dip...just went up and up and up the whole off season.As for getting in to "invest" prices are crazy but I think safe bets would still be Brady for football, Trout for baseball, Jordan/Kobe for basketball. Problem is questioning if and how much the current prices are so far manipulated they will crash hard. I just don't think that will happen with the vintage stuff and legends. Even the ones who get left holding the cards after spending a lot but market is crap will hold until it happens again unless they are so far in debt and financial/life ruined they would sell for pennies.

I've come to learn whether it be sports cards or stocks, I've rarely had buyers remorse but I've certainly had sellers remorse many times over.

I've come to learn whether it be sports cards or stocks, I've rarely had buyers remorse but I've certainly had sellers remorse many times over.
You haven't made any money until you sell.

The only cards that are worth anything are Scotty Pippen cards.

200.gif

Back