Something strange is happening with all the cargo ships lately

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone been paying attention to our ports lately? There is something strange with them being all backed up. Has anyone else been paying  attention? Some say it’s to hide all the people inflation that is happening. Seattle, Long Beach, the East coast and China are all backed up to max capacity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/23/business/cargo-ships-supply-chain.html

a7dfoibs9wq71.jpg

Better start ordering those Christmas presents...

America Is Running Out of Everything (msn.com)

The most dramatic expression of this snarl is the purgatory of loaded cargo containers stacked on ships bobbing off the coast of Los Angeles and Long Beach. Just as a normal traffic jam consists of too many drivers trying to use too few lanes, the traffic jam at California ports has been exacerbated by extravagant consumer demand slamming into a shortage of trucks, truckers, and port workers. Because ships can’t be unloaded, not enough empty containers are in transit to carry all of the stuff that consumers are trying to buy. So the world is getting a lesson in Econ 101: High demand plus limited supply equals prices spiraling to the moon. Before the pandemic, reserving a container that holds roughly 35,000 books cost $2,500. Now it costs $25,000.
The container situation is even weirder than it looks. With demand surging in the United States, shipping a parcel from Shanghai to Los Angeles is currently six times more expensive than shipping one from L.A. to Shanghai. J.P. Morgan’s Michael Cembalest wrote that this has created strong incentives for container owners to ship containers to China—even if they are mostly empty—to expedite the packing and shipping of freights in Shanghai to travel east. But when containers leave Los Angeles and Long Beach empty, American-made goods that were supposed to be sent across the Pacific Ocean end up sitting around in railcars parked at West Coast ports. Since the packed railcars can’t unload their goods, they can’t go back and collect more stuff from filled warehouses in the American interior.

I don't know about you, but have you noticed the price of groceries starting to sky rocket? Looks like cereal is going to skyrocket or be out of stock as well. 

Workers at all of Kellogg's U.S. cereal plants go on strike (apnews.com)

This is a trend we are seeing, in the back of my mind I can't stop thinking that this is on purpose and we are heading for something.

So we use a lot of air/oil/fuel filters here at work. Our multiple supplies are starting to run out of these filters, and we are scrambling to get a stock of them. I think some might come from overseas? Anyways think about it, no filters such as oil, your cars are no longer going to move, or heavy equipment operate.

Wife went to order Christmas gifts (I have been telling her to order for weeks now) she has no found out that what she wanted to order is out of stock everywhere. She said she can only find them on Ebay for triple the price. Apparently she has never heard about scalpers. I have been reading on forums about people buying the hottest toys off of Walmart and Targets shelves and listing them on Ebay for over double markup and making a killing. It's not just video game systems or video cards anymore, but toys as well.

Three main issues likely will plunge the country into economic backsliding and spark stagflation by the end of 2022: inflation, supply chain issues, and an unraveling labor market.
Americans have noticed increasing prices everywhere from the gas pump to grocery store aisles. Inflation has hit a 30-year high. Economists and political pundits are shifting their tone, away from denying its existence (recall the White House's "save 16 cents on your July 4th BBQ" approach) to preparing the public for the current and coming pain. Media narratives now reflect that price hikes aren't "going away very soon" to full risk of "runaway" inflation. Inflated prices already have hit double digits overseas and cost the average household more than $2,000 annually.
Coming soon:  Full-blown recession (msn.com)

I'll toss this in here (since it's what this forum is about). Are all the cargo containers sitting at sea right now actually Chinese missiles? 😬

map-cargo.jpg

cargo-shortage-vaccine-mandate.jpg

china-missle-1.jpg

china-missle.png

:LOL: come on media...

05nxv1uqhfu71.jpg

mil1i788nbu71.png

Just lower your expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
The White House and this administration sure loves them their National Guard. Supply chain issues? Call the National Guard. Security concerns at the capital? National Guard. Health care worker shortage...caused by terrible government mandates and decisions? National Guard.

I'm making an all Ramen meal. IN fact Ramen for life!

Back