Battle Royal of 2018 - Who will win the console wars?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So now that we are coming into the new year, which console do you think will come out on top this year? The Switch is fairly new, the xbox and ps4 have been out for awhile, but each system has an updated console out. Who do you think will become the champion by the end of 2018?

My choice right now is I think Nintendo may be the winner by the years end with the way things are looking right now. I see the PS4 continuing to push the VR side hard. Microsoft needs to get theirs out the door as well. I know it's early like I said, but my money is on Nintendo. I am interested to hear what others think.

It's no secret I am first a fan of games no matter the console as I have stated many times before s I don't get into the "who will win" debate as I want all to do well. However, as an avid XBox first gamer I do feel MS needs to up their game delivery with more big games. I know they sit on their standard Halo, Gears of War and Forza but they could use a bit more exclusives. Sony has such a wide variety of games other than their exclusives and as an RPG fan that is where they shine and MS lacks. Nintendo also does their own thing and offers games the other systems don't.

Anyway I have not looked into what is coming out for each much so can't say. I feel it will be about the same as last year probably. Nintendo will still do well and Sony will continue to Sony as will the XBox. IN the end I just want to enjoy games so don't want any one system to win or lose.

Mobile sadly will win...

Console wars in 2018?   @C Pav pretty much hit it on the head.  The consoles have all been out a while and things will keep going the way they've went.

Buy the console that has the games you want to play.  If you play online and have friends you play with, buy the console all your friends play on.

I'll agree that some non-shooter exclusives for Xbox would be great - but games take years to develop so I don't see a big change coming in 2018 for that.  Also, unless there's a big change in stance by the head of Xbox there will not be Xbox exclusives.  Console exclusive I guess, but any first party (exclusive) title will also be on PC, so...

Do you think Microsoft will release their VR platform this year on the Xbox @ndboarder? I know Sony is doing quite well with theirs.

Do you think Microsoft will release their VR platform this year on the Xbox @ndboarder? I know Sony is doing quite well with theirs.
No I don't think so.  I'm also not sure of Sony doing quite well with theirs.  Do you have sales numbers?  People I've watched or heard that have played it seems like it's more gimmicky than anything

This is the most recent I have found from December 7th 2017:

On the virtual reality front, PlayStation VR has also hit a new milestone topping 2 million units sold. That number suggests that interest is picking up; it took eight months for the VR headset to hit 1 million units, and it doubled that number in just six months. In August, Sony cut the price of the headset, and then in October the company introduced a slightly redesigned version. Sony also says that more than 12 million PSVR games have been sold as of this month, but what’s in store for the future of the platform is still unclear as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the most recent I have found from December 7th 2017:
Not to get into an argument but just because something "sells well" doesn't make it worth it or amazing. I admitted I would like to try it but in the end the games are still gimicky for the most part. Look at 3D. How many times has that been tried and died? I am sure a bunch of televisions sold because was supposed to be awesome. Same for curved tvs. Died off. The cost to get into PSVR is way too much. First need the system then the VR kit itself which costs as much as the system.Also when SOny ahs so many fans and people who own it of course the number of add ons and such will be high. It's like apple or any other company with huge followers. Those who love them will buy practically anything for and from them. It's the consumerism people we have become. Bills and spending within ones means? No man got to have the latest tech first. I'm part of the problem but at least I could pass on the PSVR knowing it's not worth the price. But being the dumb buy everything/anything tech person I am and have become I have my eye on it still.

First need the system then the VR kit itself which costs as much as the system.
This is the first problem. They need to market it lower then make up for it one more units sold and games. It needs to hit that sweet spot.It seems like most people that try it though love it. I wish there were more demos around or I knew someone that had one to try it out.

I also wonder if Nintendo has a secret one being developed? They were always the leader with motion controls.

I don't foresee any VR coming to Switch.  It takes a powerful PC to do any type of decent VR, the switch at best would be some crap goggles to hold the screen making it like the crap phone VR stuff.  

Back