Virtual reality and headsets

Yo dog let’s play a game in our VR.

my mom bought me an oculus a few years back (wanna say 2017 or 2018) and it was one of the reasons I withdrew from gaming a lot more than usual.. lmao

I just got wayyy wayy waayy too much into VR games and would spend hours and hours staring into it. I played Elite Dangerous and I just started getting this fear I guess.. I'm a little prone to fear anyway so I didn't listen to it at first, but something inside me said I wanted to save some of heaven for when I die.. know what I mean?

I'm not down on VR or anything but I really used it to escape into my own head and it wasn't healthy for me

I bought a steam index that hasn't even been used because I don't like the controls either, we had extra money so they bought it for me on a whim... being serious about gaming with it, though, I haven't really found anything that really compares with it..

people say elite dangerous is boring or whatever, but I would just switch between games on my PC all with my VR headset on, and I would go from like virtual hearthstone using the controls, then swap to elitedangerous and just fly out into the stars lol -- I played a few more games but just fulfilling that fantasy of being in a cockpit and flying around really was hard to walk away from and I don't play it anymore. what was I getting at? oh, the oculus sticks worked perfectly for maneuvering the spacecraft but the valve index controllers had 0 support for the game, which is straight stupid..

I basically had to manually set up the controls for the oculus rift as well, everything was new at the time.. basically getting programs to work by myself, etc

asdf344.png

the game is way way more immersive with a VR headset, the sounds and everything... just made me wanna give up on life kinda lol... not good! i'm learnin the hard way to get back to it though, and it ain't over yet :)

I have never heard of that game, was it like a space flight simulator?

just imagine being fully submersed (even looking left and right at the ship's computer triggers a pop-up to toggle flight systems (docking, nav computer, missions, equippable weapons and hyperspace/frameshift drives)... all in space. My brain was in "whoaaaaa" mode for like, way too long. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but it has been said that the game has a complete scale version of the entire Milky Way galaxy. It is difficult to learn and control the ship, but it was pretty amazing when I played it. Still standing by what I chose, though. Don't wanna continue to cut myself off from life, gotta keep tryin' to move forward haha

-------------------

Also, I don't know how much time you've spent on twitter but I have heard of people like gabe newell and john carmack from old id games talking about similar problems involved in extensive VR use. It can basically mess with the way your eyes are wired with your brain. I do think that had something to do with some of the problems I was having. It isn't talked about very much, as VR can be used to treat patients with a certain vestibular problem, but I'm almost sure it actually made something worse for me

The vestibular system includes the parts of the inner ear and brain that process the sensory information involved with controlling balance and eye movements. If disease or injury damages these processing areas, disorders of dizziness or balance can result. Vestibular disorders can also result from, or be worsened by, genetic or environmental conditions, or occur for unknown reasons.

the twitter articles I'm talking about were old, before elon musk bought it

This is interesting. I could see it through. You are basically tricking your brian that you are in an alternative reality. It could become addicting to those that don't like the reality they are in. I think I could find myself becoming addicted to this pretty easily.

Back