Tell me about your cell phone

WayneKerr

Reaction score
Looking at getting a smart phone. I am interested in knowing the storage capacity of your phone, whether or not you use a (micro)SD card for storage and if you meet/exceed 2GB per month data transfer speeds.

Thanks for your input.

I am holding out until Thursday at least, when the new Nexus is supposed to be announced. Hopefully it will be the same price as the Nexus 4.

My current smartphone has 16Gb of storage. It's been quite a while since I plugged it into a PC to check what's available, but I've not run into any issues with running out of storage and do not use any added SD storage. I have just under 70 apps and just over 50 games installed on my phone.

As far as data goes, I have 10GB available per month that is shared across 5 lines and have never come close to reaching the limit. There have been individual lines that have come close to 2Gb of usage though.

I know on my phone, for large app/games it will force you to be on WiFi and won't download over cellular to conserve data. The biggest spot you may eat up data is if you use the device to stream video frequently. I have one member that is up to about 1.7GB this month and I think they were watching a lot of YouTube over cellular connections not realizing the WiFi wasn't connecting when they were at home.

On the other hand, I've used my phone as a hotspot and streamed videos to my Surface for the drive down to Minneapolis a few times and for occasional usage like this it doesn't put much of a dent in the overall data. With any phone/carrier you'll have some option to monitor your data usage (I'm guessing a bit, since previously I've had unlimited data and only have first hand experience of monitoring data usage for my shared plan with Windows Phone devices on ATT)

16 gig here. Don't need it an 8gig phone would be plenty. I have 3 meg bandwith each month and have maybe used 512mb total the whole time I have owned my phone. Unless your streaming, surfing, checking emails alot away from a wireless network you don't need much. At work I have wireless, and then at home it connects. So I just don't use alot. Even though this day and age it should be unlimited, but instead they keep shrinking the bandwidth. I have an Iphone (ndbaorder should be in her to bash this) but I think it's a great phone (even though I hate Apple). It's just easy to use and so many apps and accessories for it everywhere. I don't really need a smart phone but it is a good phone if you are looking to get one.

16 gig here. Don't need it an 8gig phone would be plenty. I have 3 meg bandwith each month and have maybe used 512mb total the whole time I have owned my phone. Unless your streaming' date=' surfing, checking emails alot away from a wireless network you don't need much. At work I have wireless, and then at home it connects. So I just don't use alot. Even though this day and age it should be unlimited, but instead they keep shrinking the bandwidth. I have an Iphone (ndbaorder should be in her to bash this) but I think it's a great phone (even though I hate Apple). It's just easy to use and so many apps and accessories for it everywhere. I don't really need a smart phone but it is a good phone if you are looking to get one.[/quote']I think video streaming is the only thing that will really eat your data. I get hundreds of email a day and my phone is set to receive emails instantly from both my work and personal (Hotmail) account through push notification. Even with all those emails, I don't see large data usage. Granted I am on WiFi at work and home, but even when away they don't put a big dent. The average email is pretty small and you'd have to choose to download attachments.
I think the clear thing here is 2GB should be great plenty unless you feel you'll be using the device off WiFi a lot, or using it as a hotspot to host your monthly internet.

As far as phone choice (WP, Droid, iPhone), I won't bash nodle or others (terrible) choice (too much). I would just say that you should find a dealer and actually take time to play with live devices. Also, don't take any reps word too seriously. They get paid based on sales and they'll always push you to the phone they know the most about, whether or not it is the right phone for you. Also, I believe carriers have a 14 or 15 day return policy, so don't feel like you are stuck with something, you could always try something you are on the fence about and have the option to return if it doesn't suit your needs.

I will agree with ndboarder and say go in and mess with the phones like he said. Hands on is the best advice.

I have a 16GB iPhone 4 and I have about 6.5GB unused. I've had the phone for over two years and can upgrade at anytime. I am grand fathered to Verizon's unlimited data plan still but as the others were saying, I don't use anywhere close to the 2GB hypothetical limit. Wireless at home really helps. Everybody has their own opinions on the phones and I can only speak on the iPhone since it was my first smart phone. It has been very very solid and it just feels like I could use the same phone for another two years. Battery has really lasted well and I don't have issues with call drops or quality.

I have a Samsung S3. I love it. I don't know the specs about storage and whatnot because I don't really use it to store download things. Having wireless at home and work really helps. I have Sprint as my service provider and the internet is terrible if I'm not on a wireless connection. Be clear that this is a Sprint problem, not a Samsung problem. My phone is great when there is a wireless connection.

Sorry to bump an old thread. We currently have AT&T but in our area they are known to be bad. We are thinking about switching to Verizon. They have a deal right now where they will buy out your old contract etc. But we may be able to get out of contract in our area since it sucks. Anyways I have an opportunity to get a new phone and was finally thinking about going to a Droid since we will be using Verizon and AT&T doesn't have them. I can either get the new Iphone or they have the Droid Turbo 2. Any recommendations?

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/droid-turbo-2

"was finally thinking about going to a Droid since we will be using Verizon and AT&T doesn't have them"

What?  AT&T has a ton Android phones, maybe not the Motorola's specifically branded as "droid", but still lots of android phones...  Not that it matters if ATT coverage in your area sucks. 

I do not have a lot of experience with android devices, but they are lot more of a device for tinkering than others.  They also have higher segmentation as not all phones get updated to latest OS releases, etc.  So, I have at least heard that in some cases there are apps that don't work on all devices - however I suspect as a new device most apps today would work and it would only be a big deal if the phones were kept for a long time and the OS became well out of date.

There are some cheap androids out there (phones/tablets) so you could always look to spend a few bucks on something like that as a trial - or if you are set on switching to VZW ask them about a return period - I think they offer at least 14 days where you could try something new and if you can't stand it return and try something else.

Sorry to get back to this late was working outside all day. Ya I think we will switch our bill alone will be cheaper (plus it gives me an excuse to get something new). I like my iphone no complaints, but I just kinda want to try something new, plus the battery life is insane on that new Droid and it has that quick charge feature.

Coverage is coverage and that's what matters most.  Here ATT/VZW are pretty equivalent.  I'll be surprised if your bill goes down - if it does you weren't on the right ATT plan.  My bill went down drastically when we first switched to ATT and has only gone down since then with the shared data value plans (no contract, full price phones).  I check in on VZW pricing once in a while for kicks, and I've yet to find a way I could save anything if I were to switch back.  I wouldn't anyway as some of those on my plan have better coverage with ATT than they would with VZW

Still kinda up in the air on which phone to get. I know I should just go with the new Iphone, but I am really just getting tired of them. I would like something new to play with but don't really care for all the Android crap.

Well I ended up getting the Droid Turbo 2 the other night. Came home to play with it and was scared I wasn't going to like it. Now I love it. So much more powerful than my Iphone. So much faster. I mean way faster, not exaggerating. All my apps that I used are available and I was able to download. Swype is basically built in. The screen is way better than the Iphone as far as clarity goes. Camera opens instantly unlike the delay with my Iphone. Mail look way better. I love having the option to choose what message app I want to use for my texts. I just came home now and noticed it has a micro SD card hold. I have a 16gig one lying around and popped it in. Now I even have more storage and much as my old Iphone alone. It will take up to a 2 terabyte micro SD card too. Insane! Anyways I won't go back to an Iphone after Android. I feel like I have been in the dark for a long time now.

Too be completely fair though, unless you had the absolute most recent iPhone you are comparing a brand new flagship quality phone to one a model year or two older.  It's bound to be faster.

That said, yes, you have been in the dark for a long time....

Hahaha lol how times/people/opinions change. If I could have recorded your comments years ago it would be golden. Now first off nothing wrong as I think all phones have their pros and cons and I would like to try others out eventually.

That said @nodle once said things along the lines of the iPhone is the best phone as it has everything he needs and easy to use......

@ndboarder could be right since my iphone was 3 generations back. But the UI was the same. I don't know, to me the huge battery was one of the bigger selling points. Among with the ruggedness and the larger camera. I have been playing on it more this morning and am still liking it. My complaints would be that I do miss the notification bubbles on the corner of the apps. Android just does it different. Another thing is a physical mute button. You can still do it but it's different. 

Oh one more thing I kind miss is the finger print reader.

I have an iPhone 6 regular, that's from work, but I still have a Samsung flip phone waiting when the day comes... :)

Back