Smart Thermostats

You going to upgrade to the Ecobee 4 now @nodle.I don't think I will.  It looks a little sleeker, but doesn't seem to do much more functionality wise (other than having Alexa built in).  I don't see Alexa build in as a big deal - I control mine through my Vera controller anyway - and you can already control the 3 with a separate Alexa device.  It would only make sense for someone that doesn't have a 3 year or really wants an alexa device where their thermostat is placed
I didn't even see they had a new version out. But no I am not interested in he whole Alexa thing. Maybe if they lower the price of a Alexa to say $20-$30 then I may pick one up. But my Ecobee can do the whole Siri thing from my iphone etc. Plus I believe if you have an existing Alexa in place mine can connect to it. Overall I am very happy with my Ecobee and it really has saved us money.

We recently got a new outside unit along with a new unit in the attic - we currently have a nest product and at first we were saving money, but now we are noticing really long run time. It takes about 2 + hours to cool down from 78 to 77 - I have reached out to our people who installed and it has been a nightmare dealing with them the last week. I did research also previously and began to look at the diagram on the nest and while researching online I also see that some people mentioned a common wire - yesterday they were to go to the house and do maintenance in which i was told it would be anywhere from 5-8pm CST, however the guy showed up at 9pm instead. I didn't allow him to work - I also was to have a look at the thermostat on Saturday and nobody ever showed up.

so in the beginning a smart thermostat was good, but so far it's been trouble for us

We recently got a new outside unit along with a new unit in the attic - we currently have a nest product and at first we were saving money, but now we are noticing really long run time. It takes about 2 + hours to cool down from 78 to 77 - I have reached out to our people who installed and it has been a nightmare dealing with them the last week. I did research also previously and began to look at the diagram on the nest and while researching online I also see that some people mentioned a common wire - yesterday they were to go to the house and do maintenance in which i was told it would be anywhere from 5-8pm CST, however the guy showed up at 9pm instead. I didn't allow him to work - I also was to have a look at the thermostat on Saturday and nobody ever showed up.so in the beginning a smart thermostat was good, but so far it's been trouble for us
So do you think they hooked up the wiring wrong then? Thermostat wiring is really easy to deal with, you would have to pop your Nest off the wall, but behind it you should see these small thin colored wires. They basically have to be in the matched color scheme or wiring. The 'C' wire or common wire that you are referring to is a constant hot wire that provides the power to run the display. If your display is lit up then I would think that the common wire is hooked up properly. The only think that I can think of is that they might not had hooked up the fan control wire properly? Can you hear the fan pushing the AC? Also have you made sure to change your air filters? They are not clogged are they?

This doesn't really sound like a thermostat issue. Maybe if the wiring was done incorrectly and the fan isn't running.

All a thermostat does is read the temperature and if you are above/below the set threshold, turn on the heating/cooling - once it senses the desired temp has been reached it turns off the heating/cooling.

If you're system is taking 2 hours to adjust temps by 1 degree then I doubt it's the thermostat unless it wired incorrectly so it isn't turning on fans to push the air or even properly turn on the system. If it is turning the system on correctly and still taking that long it seems more like the system has lost the coolant or something

I reached out to Nest support yesterday and began to troubleshoot with them. Right now the common wire is not in use as I have removed during the testing and the AC began to drop a bit quicker than what we have been noticing. It went down 3 degrees in about 1 hour when recently it would take a bit. I am still waiting for the AC people to come over and perform a maintenance on the unit

. Right now the common wire is not in use as I have removed during the testing
I think your going to need this one or your not going to get a display. It's a constant 12volt.

I see Amazon is getting into the smart thermostat game now. They are going to kill the competition with that price point.

51ATmAla-JL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Amazon Smart Thermostat

Back