Personal drones for hobbyists

So we finally took the drone out this afternoon. Such an expensive piece of equipment. Taking off is as simple as a swipe. The batteries don't last to long especially with recording video. If your batteries go low it will automatically come in and land. We also used the "come home and land feature", so awesome nothing to worry about. One thing is the glare from the dam Ipad mini screen was horrible. Got to do something about that in the future. But lets talk about the video. Oh man way way better than I expected. I guess it is 4k though. But it was so amazing, beautiful, we were blown away from the quality and the color. What a great drone, as long as you have the pocket book for it.

Went to the park last night. There were two DJI Phantoms flying around. Drones just keep getting more and more popular.

One thing with drones is I think they need to work on their noise. Those props you can really hear tearing though the air. If they were quieter you could sneak up better with them. They sound like a large bumble bee.

One thing with drones is I think they need to work on their noise. Those props you can really hear tearing though the air. If they were quieter you could sneak up better with them. They sound like a large bumble bee.
I prefer that they are noisy and cannot sneak up on me...  At least consumer ones that any random peeping Tom type could go buy

At least consumer ones that any random peeping Tom type could go buy
See I thought about this. That day I was down at the park with my daughter and my wife that one kept hovering above us. I wouldn't had noticed it but because of the prop noise I spotted it. But I thought like you at the time, if someone had one or created one with quite props man you could spy outside windows etc. Kinda scary. I am still waiting for Federal laws to start to come out more and more about this stuff. Same goes for one flying in "your airspace". Still can't find if it is legal to shoot one down over your own property or not. I hear both sides on this. Invasion of your privacy vs. destroying personal property. Such a grey area still.

See I thought about this. That day I was down at the park with my daughter and my wife that one kept hovering above us. I wouldn't had noticed it but because of the prop noise I spotted it. But I thought like you at the time, if someone had one or created one with quite props man you could spy outside windows etc. Kinda scary. I am still waiting for Federal laws to start to come out more and more about this stuff. Same goes for one flying in "your airspace". Still can't find if it is legal to shoot one down over your own property or not. I hear both sides on this. Invasion of your privacy vs. destroying personal property. Such a grey area still.
True - though legally for you with that DJI you need to have a HAM radio license (any drone) and because of its size/weight an FAA drone pilot license to legally fly it.  Likely won't be enforced, but if someone complained law enforcement could take it and/or fine you heftily I'm sure.

True - though legally for you with that DJI you need to have a HAM radio license (any drone) and because of its size/weight an FAA drone pilot license to legally fly it.  Likely won't be enforced, but if someone complained law enforcement could take it and/or fine you heftily I'm sure.
Ya thanks for the reminder, we need to register ours.

The Drone registration with the FAA is pretty simple. Sign up, pay your $5 print out a nice little ID, and your all set for 3 years. You do have to paste your number on your Drone. I used a label maker and the white blended perfectly with the Drone shell. It's basically like having a Airplane or Boat registration ID.

I saw a bigger one (not sure the model) flying over head the other day. Man it was loud. It was really moving though. Cool stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just picked up another DJI mini 2 for work, dam this thing is small.

96fa1f3f8f040798f792b1600a80b1e3@ultra.jpg

Back