No more Starz on Netflix

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Satellite TV provider Starz says it won’t renew its distribution deal with Netflix when it expires next February. If the company follows through on that statement, it will mean Netflix won’t be able provide digital access to movies from Sony and Disney — a scenario Reed Hastings and company have been trying to avoid for years.Here’s the statement from Starz: “Starz Entertainment has ended contract renewal negotiations with Netflix. When the agreement expires on February 28, 2012, Starz will cease to distribute its content on the Netflix streaming platform. This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content. With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business.� No comment yet from Netflix.
/>http://allthingsd.com/20110901/starz-says-it-wont-renew-giant-netflix-deal/

Damn it. Sparticus and Camelot are on Starz. Love those series.

I read a lengthy article on this earlier. Their stock dropped quite a bit when this announcement was made. With the new pricing I've been considering cancelling my netflix altogether. Their streaming selection is ok, but not great, especially for new releases and now it obviously just got worse for newer releases. Then there's the whole problem with some content not being available other than on disc. Anyway, I might just cancel and then debate for a while and start up again with either disc or streaming, depending if they can stay afloat much longer.

The article I read basically credited Starz with getting Netflix where they are. It gave them better premium streaming content, which lead to more subscribers, which is more money so they can get more conent, then more customers, more money, content, and so on. Of course now investors are worried the new pricing will cost them customers (which it will, the question is how many), plus now on top of that they are losing streaming content, making the streaming only package less valuable and potentially increasing the number of lost customers.

Well, figured no point wasting time and letting them bill me a ton for my plan changing. Just put my Netflix subscription on hold through 12/1 (as long as they'd let me). I'll give it a bit of thought and figure out whether to cancel completely, swap plans, keep existing, etc. We haven't been using it enough lately anyway, but once it gets colder again ....

Interesting. I know from what I had read Netflix at some point had said something about hoping to stay under or offering up to $250 million. I'm glad they didn't agree to any additional consumer charges in order to get the Starz content though. Maybe Starz will see the light and get back on the wagon, could put them past HBO or ShowTime some day if they are ahead of the game on the web front.

I always thought of Starz as kind of a joke but they have really been putting out quality shows lately.

I always thought of Starz as kind of a joke but they have really been putting out quality shows lately.
I don't know about produced shows, haven't ever gotten into the series that are offered by HBO,Starz, etc. When we did have some premium channels though I typically ended up watching movies that Starz had compared to a few here and there on HBO. I'd think they'd suffer more from missing the newer released movies that Starz carries and allowed streaming than the shows. This is all speculation though, no research what-so-ever as far as what most popular Starz content was, or even what content Netflix had available.

Back