Lets discuss Barbecuers

[QUOTE='nodle]Have you done a brisket yet on your Treager @jmanz? I am looking for something easy so that I can smoke. Something that I can just toss in on a Sunday morning and smoke all day till dinner time.
[/QUOTE]Nope I haven't actually yet. I have brisket a couple times a year at a restaurant and I'm good with that. Not something I need a lot of, unlike steak or ribs for example.

Wish me luck guys, I am going to try my hand at cooking a ham on my Traeger today. I will report back later today after it’s done and let you know how it turned out.

Well, the ham turned out great. I was a little worried since it was my first time. I just used a deep disposable tinfoil pan, poured all cider, and cut up apples in the bottom. Put the ham face down and cooked it at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours. I would baste it with apple cider every so often to keep the skin moist. Then for the last half an hour I basted it with a brown sugar/honey mixture. It caramelized on the skin and added a nice hint of sweetness. Everyone was impressed and I felt accomplished. 

[QUOTE='nodle]Well, the ham turned out great. I was a little worried since it was my first time. I just used a deep disposable tinfoil pan, poured all cider, and cut up apples in the bottom. Put the ham face down and cooked it at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours. I would baste it with apple cider every so often to keep the skin moist. Then for the last half an hour I basted it with a brown sugar/honey mixture. It caramelized on the skin and added a nice hint of sweetness. Everyone was impressed and I felt accomplished. 
[/QUOTE]I wouldn't be afraid of doing anything pre-cooked on a Traeger. It's basically like an oven with smoke and you are just warming it up. Since being undercooked isn't a worry in this situation, just have to keep moist and you are good to go.

Went to a wedding last night that was catered by a barbecue company. They had smoke pork lion, which was excellent, but the star of the show for me was the smoked garlic bread. They cooked the garlic bread on the grill rack, and the bread smoked up the smell of the wood, it was absolutely amazing! I might have to try this.

[QUOTE='nodle]Went to a wedding last night that was catered by a barbecue company. They had smoke pork lion, which was excellent, but the star of the show for me was the smoked garlic bread. They cooked the garlic bread on the grill rack, and the bread smoked up the smell of the wood, it was absolutely amazing! I might have to try this.
[/QUOTE]It's good, have done it.

I have been doing a new tactic on my grill. Not cooking as hot, and letting it just take a little longer cooking. I kept treating everything as a gas grill. 

[QUOTE='nodle]I have been doing a new tactic on my grill. Not cooking as hot, and letting it just take a little longer cooking. I kept treating everything as a gas grill. 
[/QUOTE]I don't go any higher than 375 with mine.

See I was cranking it up to 420, and now when I am sitting at 375 the meat might take longer but seems to have a better flavor and cooks more thoroughly.

[QUOTE='nodle]See I was cranking it up to 420, and now when I am sitting at 375 the meat might take longer but seems to have a better flavor and cooks more thoroughly.
[/QUOTE]Yup I have found that on the Traeger, 375 is my favorite for most things like burgers, steaks, pork chops, chicken. Ribs I will do lower.

I am excited to try my new pellets, almost though my old stuff. Just have about one more cook and I will be onto the new flavor.

Picked me up some official Treager drip can inserts. They are little tinfoil shaped cups to put in your little bucket that you then can just toss. I was using a glass jar before with some tinfoil underneath it. But these little things work so much better, and they are cheap, you get like 5 for about $5. One will last an entire year.

Traeger Bucket Liners - 5 Pack - Traeger Grills®

[QUOTE='nodle]Picked me up some official Treager drip can inserts. They are little tinfoil shaped cups to put in your little bucket that you then can just toss. I was using a glass jar before with some tinfoil underneath it. But these little things work so much better, and they are cheap, you get like 5 for about $5. One will last an entire year.
Traeger Bucket Liners - 5 Pack - Traeger Grills®
[/QUOTE]I'm surprised you weren't using these. They are all I use. Work great.

I barbecued some chicken last night. I was out of seasoning for chicken, so I ran to the store and picked up some:

Traeger Pork & Poultry Dry Rub | Traeger Grills®

Put olive oil on the chicken first then worked in the rub. It was decent, not too strong. I would have preferred a stronger flavor to it. People saw it's a good rub for ribs as well.

It seems like the hot new things with grills are smoker tubes these days. I keep seeing people use these all over the place. Has anyone investigated them or used one?

Amazen_Smoking_Tube.jpg

Amazon.com : Pellet Smoker Tube - 12'' Smoke Tube for Pellet Smoker Grill, Stainless Steel Pellet Tube for Smoking Portable Barbecue Cold Smoke Generator Works with Electric Gas Charcoal Grilling, Bonus Brush : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Seen them available for a long time but I've never used one, don't know of anyone else who uses one either.

I vacuumed out my pellet dust yesterday. I thought this was interesting. I had an old bag of Treager brand pellets that is about 4-5 years old. It has always been sealed. I thought I had better use them up, so I have been mixing them with my new pellets. When I vacuumed out my fire box, I noticed a clump on them formed. Is this from the old pellets retaining moisture? Who knows, tossed the whole bag. 

This sounds good, smoked Cheezits on the Traeger.

Well got the Treager vacuumed out tonight and all put away, see you next year!

Back