Chronic stress - cause of most illness symptoms

ryanator

Reaction score
I've always read about stress related symptoms and wondered if all those little annoying health problems are a cause from it. We all just say, "oh, it's aging" like it's normal, but our modern living with a 8 to 5 job builds the stress up daily. And we then go home carrying that stress and feel like doing nothing because we don't have much time for anything else. That daily stress builds up to chronic long term stress, and even mainstream medical doctors vouch that many symptoms are caused by stress. http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/stress-management/physical-effects-of-stress2.htm

Stress is proven to change the way our body handles almost everything by causing a physical change in the way the nervous system, hormones, and organs function. This is normal in short spurts for survival, but we live this almost every day and feel like slaves to modern living. After years of stress like this, our body goes in a constant stressed, adrenaline produced mode throwing off our hormones and normal body functions. Also in addition to this, our body's immune system weakens, and doesn't handle removing toxins from food or the environment as well, causing heightened sensitivies to them (allergies and intolerances, etc..) This then excelerates physical and mental aging (skin, hair, brain, etc..).

I still remember when I was working at the bank at the end and was in the credit analyst position I hated so much, my eye started twitching most of the day for many months.

Does anyone else agree or have any symptoms they can relate?

Just curious, what were the things you hated about the Credit Analyst job? I see the person who does that job at our bank and it seems like a pretty care free job for her anyways. Obviously there could be different roles between the two institutions. I was thought that it would be kind of an interesting job but I really don't know what it all entails.

Just curious' date=' what were the things you hated about the Credit Analyst job? I see the person who does that job at our bank and it seems like a pretty care free job for her anyways. Obviously there could be different roles between the two institutions. I was thought that it would be kind of an interesting job but I really don't know what it all entails.[/quote']
I would say it depends on the person. It has it's positives, but to me it was just staring at the screen and I felt bored. It's cool that you get input and work with seeing all the credit history and tax returns and compile them into a file report to get a loan approved or not (which the loan committee decides based partially on your analysis). But also, it was just a bad time for me while I was in it. I just didn't have the motivation. But that was almost 3 years ago, and now I'm back in IT, but that has many of it's own stressors.

Stress can cause so many health problems. Every time I goto the doctor, the first thing they ask me is "Are you under alot of stress?". I don't think our bodies were ever made to endure all the stress that we get in this world today. At one time it was just about what you are going to eat for the next meal and where are you going to find a place to sleep tonight. For me the greatest cause of stress is my job.

Stress can cause so many health problems. Every time I goto the doctor' date=' the first thing they ask me is "Are you under alot of stress?". I don't think our bodies were ever made to endure all the stress that we get in this world today. At one time it was just about what you are going to eat for the next meal and where are you going to find a place to sleep tonight. For me the greatest cause of stress is my job.[/quote']
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to make a change soon and look at all my options for jobs and what not. I'm most likely looking into taking a year off. I see the first 3 months as critical to rest and enjoy life more. Most reports I read is that the body and mind needs a few months to just shake off the stress and go in a healing mode. I'm looking at it to be like I'm on a big vacation, summer is coming up, just like getting out of school yay :)

I'm a big believer in the body was not meant to endure a repetitive work environment that most people live today, as we work for others with no real self motivation.

I was just in your same situation. My job sucked here so bad. I felt like I was sitting in prison all day. I would drive home and feel like crying. I despised work so bad. But I have to work, have bills/home/life. Finally I started looking for somewhere else. I applied at two places and both wanted to hire me. I took the first one that came along. The pay is even a little lower than here, but I don't care. It was to the point where I was either going to quit and was even willing to take a minimum wage job just to get away from stress. So I got to turn my two weeks in last Tuesday here. Will I like the new job? Who knows but the way I look at it is I was going to outright quit here and no work anyways so I have nothing to lose. If you start wanting to die than to go to work, then it's not worth it. It seems like the older I get I look for simplicity in life. I'd rather work at a coffee shop making minimum wage than to deal with the stress.

Where will you be working at? Funny thing is my roommate ran into the owner and mentioned to me about an opening. I said I would never go into a customer service like computer tech repair position. I have the skills, but all the things that have to be dealt with would drive me off a cliff.

Where will you be working at? Funny thing is my roommate ran into the owner and mentioned to me about an opening. I said I would never go into a customer service like computer tech repair position. I have the skills' date=' but all the things that have to be dealt with would drive me off a cliff.[/quote']
I'll PM you.

Back