AMD Ryzen cpu chips

Well...

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7800X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/m304816vs3958

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4034vs3918

So ya you got my on the video card, unfortunately those 1080Ti are hard to find anymore to purchase. But I guarantee that I didn't spend as much as you either on the CPU or GPU. It's true on a 1080p game you will get 10-15% more FPS than I will, this is based on a single or dual core game. If a game support multicore (while not many do at this point) mine will chew it up. Also in everything else non game related my cpu will run laps around yours. Honestly I don't care really about Intel or AMD. I have no problem with either. I just pick at the time who's got the best price/value for your money. At this moment it happens to be AMD. I have been using Intel since probably 2002. The 1080Ti is a great card @ndboarder . Just hard to find right now for someone wanting to purchase one. What case are you running? Also what CPU cooler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you built it for games, and neither of us do anything that's really truly very multithreaded. Thus I challenged you to a FPS race, not a video editing race. You didn't really save that much though, and for gaming the GPU is where it really matters.

I don't know what case I have anymore. CPU cooler is this (I believe): https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=c_00002775

Well you built it for games, and neither of us do anything that's really truly very multithreaded.
Not really, the only game that I would even play is WoW which is a cpu intensive game. And I kinda did build it for multi-threading. I want to see if it will cut down on my rendering time when I go to encode video. Gaming was never really my intention (I will use my Switch for most of that). Yes I bought a new video for maybe gaming in WoW so I can crank up all the visuals, but being an old game engine it don't require much in the first place. Plus I think some frames are locked. Honestly I was somewhat disappointed in myself when I saw how old my video card was. I could sit here all day and post videos comparing CPU to CPU. Like I said from everything I have watched you will win in cpu locked games from 10-15% more because of the higher clock frequency on each core. But the future is multi-core, that is where everything is headed. Plus I am sick and tired of buying a new board for a new socket each time a cpu is released. With AMD no problem just buy a new chip. So is your case full of RGB? Have you joined the master race brethren?

@ndboarder what games have you been playing on the PC? I thought you were strictly Xbox?

@ndboarder what games have you been playing on the PC? I thought you were strictly Xbox?
No, you just say I'm strictly Xbox, even though I own every console and purchase games on all of them. I just use the PS and Switch for exclusives. I do play more on my Xbox than anything else.
On the PC I've mostly used it for cross play games such as State of Decay 2, Cuphead, Forza games, Gears of War, etc. The one I use it for most in recent history is Sea of Thieves. No console can give you the resolution and frames that a good PC. Some people want 4K @ 60 frames. I'd rather have 1080 at 144+ frames. I do have some other PC games, just don't play them much.

Ya you can't really beat PC graphics. I have had an itching playing a good shooter on PC lately or WoW. I did just recently get Battlefield V since it came free with my video card. I don't know though I would rather play a more modern warfare game or futurist game. I use to love BF2 and BF3. I thought about giving Overwatch a try since it's from Blizzard and people seem to love it.

Got my system put together last night. Nothing like putting a machine together, powers on with first push of the button, all power lights etc. work perfectly the first time. Flawless build. Anyways it went together pretty fast. The new Asus board works great, updated straight from within the bios. The case is excellent for the money. Way more room inside than my last and some nice touches and features for the money. I will post more later, but want to mention about the new AMD Ryzen chip. I know me and @ndboarder were talking about this. So right now I am encoding my Transformers disks. So we were talking about multi core encoding. So I had done about 3 disc so far. On my old system average encoding time for an episode was around 17 minutes. My new system does it in 2 o_O No lie it's insane! Will try some gaming next.

DqcQVea.jpg

So kinda want a new cpu cooler and fans. Just trying to decide between water and air.

So I got some more parts coming. I know they are ugly, but they are such good quality. I want to get away from water. I know it's safe and all (sorta). I have bought two Noctua fans for my 3D printer and the quality and noise levels are the best out there. They produce the best quality stuff out there, they are just ugly though color wise.

81AX6j8MRJL._SX425_.jpg

41YW7kJubQL.jpg

Loving that Ryzen 7 though, such a great cpu. I never thought that I could "feel" a difference coming from my i7 but I can. Everything is just so, so much faster. It wasn't like my i7 was slow by any means either. Amd chips have always had a snappiness to them ever since the Duron days.

The Noctua fans are great. I bought a couple smaller ones to put in my Ubiquiti USG Pro. Replaced the factory fans because the Noctua are quieter and do a better job - making my network cabinet less obnoxious and the device kept cooler

So I know I said I was going to go back to air, but looks like I am going back to water.

dq1wn96uz7k21.jpg

Well i am pretty happy with my system now. Everything matches color inside. Still might do some custom braided cables still, but mostly done with it. Water cooler defiantly is getting me better temps on my CPU as well.

So ya I thinking I am done with my machine for 2019, turned out really nice. I can't really think of anything else to do with it now.

Got an email from AMD for a free copy of Tom Clancy's - The Division 2 for purchasing my AMD chip.

Apparently the new chips are out now, I haven't done/head much on them yet.

TTPOAIv.jpg

Boy I tell you Intel better get in the game, AMD is absolute killing it lately. Intel chips are a joke for the price at this point.

Back