Apple products and their iOS

nodle

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of it. There is only one phone and that is a Windows Phone.

About time you figure it out. As for Gorilla Glass, there are versions of it, so it's gotten better over time. I think most current phones likely have Gorilla Glass 3, though I could be mistaken and they have 2, I dunno.

Either way, it is far more resilient than other screens, but it isn't impossible to scratch. You still should not put it in the pocket you have car keys with. It can handle a lot of drops or such, but still if it hits just right it can spider web. I've seen phones take drops of many feet onto concrete or pavement directly hitting the screen and no problem. I've also seen the same make/models have a spiderwebbed screen when dropped from a foot or two where they must've landed at that perfect angle.

Bottom line Gorilla Glass is great, but it isn't perfect either.

• 4 weeks later...
NYTimes - Why Apple Wants to Bust Your iPhoneThis is actually really interesting and I can believe it.

They create a new OS optimized for their new hardware, it does not run well on old hardware. Not a surprise, but everyone upgrades to the latest thinking they get all the new stuff. That of course generally isn't the case and the OS is a slightly different version or built to disable functionality that won't work with older models. All-in-all, it's pretty much upgrade the device each year if you want the designed experience.

They create a new OS optimized for their new hardware, it does not run well on old hardware. Not a surprise, but everyone upgrades to the latest thinking they get all the new stuff. That of course generally isn't the case and the OS is a slightly different version or built to disable functionality that won't work with older models. All-in-all, it's pretty much upgrade the device each year if you want the designed experience.

I agree with boarder here. Cell phones to me are meant to be updated every two or so years. If you get more time than that and you are happy with the product still, you are playing with house money. I don't really think there is anything sneaky about it and that goes for Apple, Windows, or Droid phones.

Exactly, like about any technology boom. Today, you can buy a PC/Laptop and probably get years out of it before being too outdated. Smartphones and tablets on the other hand are where hardware is being constantly innovated for faster processing, better battery life, etc.

Technically a phone you buy today will be out-of-date within 6 months tops*. It will run fine for your 2 year term most likely, but for at least 18 months on your contract others will be getting newer better devices than you.

* - unless you buy iPhones which behind the times at release for the past 3 releases

• 4 months later...

New update out 7.1:

CarPlay

- iOS experience designed for the car

- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle

- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps

- Control with Siri and the car's touchscreen, knobs, and buttons

Siri

- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you're done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking

- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese

iTunes Radio

- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song

- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing

- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free

Calendar

- Option to display events in month view

- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries

Accessibility

- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs

- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations

- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point

Other

- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s

- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries

- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device

- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash

- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition

- Improved performance for iPhone 4

- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000

- Continued user interface refinements

• 1 month later...

A new 7.1.1 updates is out for Iphones, Ipads etc.

This update contains improvements, bug fixes and security updates, including:

- Further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition

- Fixes a bug that could impact keyboard responsiveness

- Fixes an issue when using Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled

• 2 months later...
  • nodle changed the title to Apple products and their iOS