BIOS Flash

jmanz

Anybody have horror stories about doing a BIOS update? I'm mulling over doing one at a remote site but am kind of nervous because they don't have a spare pc at the moment at that location. I don't feel like driving 90 miles to replace a pc.

Depends on the company that provides the BIOS, such as AMI, Award etc. You best bet is always to flash in DOS mode, but some allow flashing in windows (normally not recommended). There is always a risk doing it. As you can brick your board. Also try not to flash with a beta BIOS unless it fixes the problem that you need it to fix. Most newer motherboards will have a utility that you can access at boot up that will take you basically into a custom DOS shell and do the flashing for you automatically. I flash all the time and even have made custom ones. But I am sure that you will be fine. Sounds to me like you have a windows flash utility.

Yeah it is an exe from HP. Have a machine that likes to reboot on its own from time to time and they suggested that. No idea if that will fix it but it is what they suggested. I know that it is bad news if the machine loses power during the bios flash and of course that is what could happen givin its history.

Yeah it is an exe from HP. Have a machine that likes to reboot on its own from time to time and they suggested that. No idea if that will fix it but it is what they suggested. I know that it is bad news if the machine loses power during the bios flash and of course that is what could happen givin its history.

Does it, brick that baby! :evil: