Exit Interview stories...

ryanator

So does anyone have any good exit interview stories?...coughndboarderhint... I have one coming up by this Friday for a bank I worked for 6 years at, but it's with the CEO, not my supervisor. Basically, I built a great reputation the first 5 years, and it dwindled in the last year. My boss, who shale remain New England Mayor like nameless is a white lying, hot headed, poor people issue manager, which is something I may let him know right before I leave. He's more of a politician than a supervisor (hence now a mayor of a small town, but also is up into too much politics at the bank (just playing the game I guess).

I know better than to just let lose, because it may come back to me with small town politics, though it would feel so good. Another upper management women works at our bank, is on the board of directors at the hospital (but I get along with her well).

So post away your stories or tips.

Well... When I've done my exit interviews (a couple, some went better than others) I usually just try to be honest about why I started looking for and/or accepted another offer. In the case some here are familiar with I had been doing internet support for a while. There was a lot of plain job dissatisfaction. It got old. Co-workers were great, at least the ones I worked with most hours, but others not so much.

I let them know that while I understand seniority has some play it should not be the key component. I basically let it be known that I didn't think I and some others got a fair shake, just because we were newer, even though everyone knew we were better at our jobs than those higher on the seniority totem pole. I had been there long enough I should've been receiving benefits, but they never pulled through on that. Of course I should've brought that up, or so they said, which I said was poor business practice and that I shouldn't have to do anything to get my benefits once I had been there long enough to receive them. It went on, I was offered a raise (to meet the offer I had taken), but I turned that down as they waited until my last day to even ask me about staying which was a little late. I didn't really think it went all that terribly, though I knew I had said things that wouldn't be all that well accepted. As it turns out though apparently had I ever used the place for a reference it wouldn't have been a good one. I was leaving the company and the area so I didn't rightly care.

My second was painless and understood. I was doing contract for hire work, had lost hours and they couldn't get me additional hours. They have since tried numerous times to recruit me back.

The last one I had was a lot trickier. My boss really liked to yell and scream, though I had never been the target of this. Many people were not getting what had been promised when we signed up to get training and work for a new company coming into the area. I was seeing better than most on that front as I and a select few were in the good graces of our boss. The tricky part was that the company had been playing some games with people leaving to take jobs with other tech companies and trying to cost them their new positions. Fortunately I had been on long enough not to have any prohibitive clause in my contract, however it was still a worry. I walked away from that interview, basically having lied through my teeth about where I was leaving to, but at least letting them know I wasn't seeing the huge potential that had been promised for my position. Again, the boss wasn't known for being all that level headed and I was in his good graces, so the news did NOT go over all that well. Lesson there is probably not to just drop a bombshell. This one however at least came when I gave my notice for the most part and though he wasn't happy didn't have any fall out in my last couple weeks.

I remember the supervisor's face was just red when she came out of that interview lol, I'll never forget it.

Sadly it was likely red due to anger and not embarassment as it should've been.

Edit: I think the bottom line is they set these up and it's a good business practice in theory to get feedback on how to prevent other attrition. In reality they don't really want to hear about it....

Sadly it was likely red due to anger and not embarassment as it should've been.

Edit: I think the bottom line is they set these up and it's a good business practice in theory to get feedback on how to prevent other attrition. In reality they don't really want to hear about it....

That's why some might go with a more neutral 3rd party if they can, which would probably work out better without getting personal. Then again, sometimes things come out clearer or certain perspective when said straight to management.

• 2 weeks later...