Windows 8 rumors

nodle

Windows 8 situation: One where users would install a master of Windows on their PCs, plus possibly an antivirus program, but nothing else. All other applications would run virtually, via a combination of Hyper-V V3 (the next version of Microsoft’s hypervisor technology, which would no longer be a server-only thing), App-V application virtualization technology and MED-V desktop virtualization functionality. Some of these applications would run in virtual machines that would combine applications and operating systems, i.e., an application running on Windows Vista or an application running on a particular flavor of Linux.

So what server would host the other applications, over the internet somewhere? Or on another virtual partition on the same PC? Otherwise, makes sense to me, I did a lot of research in the possibility of remote apps and implemented some in our company before I left that position.