No blu-ray on macs

nodle

They better get with it. It's a standard nowadays.

Steve Jobs has once again spoken candidly about his disdain for Blu-ray, explaining to a MacRumors reader in an email that the hi-def discs will be "beaten by internet downloadable formats".Jobs, who seems to be responding to all emails at the moment including ones that begin with 'Dear respected one', showed he still has a bone to pick with Blu-ray, by refusing to believe the format was worthy of inclusion in Apple's latest Mac Mini range.

In the email, he noted: "Bluray [sic] is looking more and more like one of the high end audio formats that appeared as the successor to the CD – like it will be beaten by Internet downloadable formats."

Okay, so it's not quite as vitriolic as his 'bag of hurt' rant, but it seems he is still not convinced by Blu-ray.

All about convenience

After the MacRumors' reader replied saying that this may be true for the long term but not medium term, Jobs came back with: "No, free, instant gratification and convenience (likely in that order) is what made the downloadable formats take off.

"And the downloadable movie business is rapidly moving to free (Hulu) or rentals (iTunes) so storing purchased movies or TV shows is not an issue.

"I think you may be wrong - we may see a fast broad move to streamed free and rental content at sufficient quality (at least 720p) to win almost everyone over."

Does Jobs know something we don't know? Has he really got an Blu-ray killer stuffed in his polo neck somewhere?

We're not convinced that iTunes rentals will kill off Blu-rays just yet.

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/jobs-says-no-to-blu-ray-on-macs-again-700614?src=rss&attr=all

Old news... Eventually maybe everything will be internet, but I don't forsee this for quite some time, plus I'd rather have discs. Why? If I have a harddrive fail that stores a ton of movies then I'm out a bunch of $$ too right?

Sure I can keep backups, but then I need double the disk space too. BD discs store 50GB of data (and they are looking at doubling that or more). This means that I need a 1TB drive for every 10 movies of same quality with all the same featurs. My BD collection is > 100 so that's over 10 TB of storage, 20TB if I want to back it up. This means I'd need around $1500 (at least) of disks and a machine that could hold them all (this is with 1TB drives, since going to 2 or 3 is worse yet cost wise).

For that cost of storage/backup I could have had another 50 movies on BD.

I realize this isn't exactly accurate, due to the fact if you purchase HD content from Zune, or Apple it is nowhere near the file sizes of a BD, but still I'm not a fan of digital only content. I'll gladly pay an extra $5 for a BD package that includes a digital copy, but not a fan of paying the same price to get digital only and not have a copy I actually have physical posession of.

He is probably right in a way, but he should please the people until the time comes.

I'd say he is, eventually I'm sure everything will move to downloadable, or to another form facter (SSD of some sort). I doubt it will be anytime very soon though.