Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Grill Master questions

So I am thinking about picking up a grill but have a few questions. What kind of accessories would I need? Would I need a metal brush to clean it? What about the grease trap thing? What other accessories would you recommend? Do I need anything to lay down since this will be on our deck?

Gas or Charcoal?

In general, pick up a grill kit that would include a good spatula/tongs at least, and many will include the cleaning brust as well. Definately get a cleaning brush. You don't have to go overboard on the cleaning, but it's nice to clean it off a bit before/after each use with a brush to limit build up. Most gas grills will have a grease trap of some sort on them, so the main thing with this is just to empty it occassionally.

Other things I would highly recommend are a grill cover and a grill pad. The covers are nice to protect from weather. If I don't have mine covered and it rains, all the rain collects in the grease trap and the greasy mess runs all over the lower portion of the grill and whatever is below the grill. This then leads to a good reason to have a grill pad. These will catch anythign that does happen to drip and keep your deck nice and clean

It would be gas, ya I was wondering about the grill pad thing. I think I saw jmanz with one. Plus the cover does make sense with the rain. How much does a tank of propane usually run?

It would be gas, ya I was wondering about the grill pad thing. I think I saw jmanz with one. Plus the cover does make sense with the rain. How much does a tank of propane usually run?

Definately look at a cover and the pad. Covers are also a good thing to have on it in the winter. I just leave mine on the deck year round, but have it covered during the winter months.

Depends I guess. You have a couple options. You can go buy an empty tank, and locate somewhere that is able to fill it for you. At these places it's probably going to run you $15 or so to get your tank filled. The other option is to do the tank exchange thing. In town here many places offer "Blue Rhino" tank exchange. With this I think the prices kinda vary depending on where you are. In town here it is like $50-$60 to get your initial full tank. After that it's like $20 to swap in your empty and get a full. In the long haul buying your own and finding a place that will fill it is cheaper, but the exchanges are more convenient (here at least).

I do the exchange thing, since I technically own the tank I have at the time and I could take it to have it filled elsewhere. The initial purchase is basicall $20 of propane and the rest to buy the tank. It's just a lot more convenient as the only places I know of in town here that would be able to fill the tank are a lot further to drive to than the nearest exchange.

Definately look at a cover and the pad. Covers are also a good thing to have on it in the winter. I just leave mine on the deck year round, but have it covered during the winter months.

Depends I guess. You have a couple options. You can go buy an empty tank, and locate somewhere that is able to fill it for you. At these places it's probably going to run you $15 or so to get your tank filled. The other option is to do the tank exchange thing. In town here many places offer "Blue Rhino" tank exchange. With this I think the prices kinda vary depending on where you are. In town here it is like $50-$60 to get your initial full tank. After that it's like $20 to swap in your empty and get a full. In the long haul buying your own and finding a place that will fill it is cheaper, but the exchanges are more convenient (here at least).

I do the exchange thing, since I technically own the tank I have at the time and I could take it to have it filled elsewhere. The initial purchase is basicall $20 of propane and the rest to buy the tank. It's just a lot more convenient as the only places I know of in town here that would be able to fill the tank are a lot further to drive to than the nearest exchange.

Ya I have seen the blue rhino thing before also. I think that will be the way to go.

This topic has more replies, but you'll need to be signed in to view them.