Best Weed Whacker?

jmanz

Probably gonna need to pick up one of these for around the fence. What types do you boys have? Gas? Cordless with battery? I saw a black and decker cordless one at walmart that I think uses the same battery as the B&D drill I bought not too long ago.

I currently have a cordless unit. This one in particular came from Walmart and I think is Weed Eater brand. It was good at the other place where I just had a little to trim. At the new place with having to go around the inside and outside of the fence, and around a lot of edging around the house, mailbox area, tree, rock garden thing it's a lot for the little cordless units. In fact the batter on mine won't get around just the inside of the fence on a single charge. This model has the battery built in and it is not swappable, so the only option is to put it back on the charger and finish later.

It may not be so bad if you had one where you could change the battery and had multiple batteries ready to go, but if your yard is a decent size I would definately suggest you just do the smart thing and get a gas powered one to go with that fence

I would like to get a small gas unit. But I make the wife go out with sheers afterwords.

I am also very keen on upgrading to gas powered. I've seen a few people around town using plug in whackers, but really who wants to drag a long extension cord around, especially around the outside perimeter of a fence? Cordless are convenient, in that you just pick it up, pull the trigger and go, but I wants the gas where I can just fire it up and do the entire yard in one session.

Interesting....I was hoping to hear that the cordless would have some better battery life to em. Probably will go the gas variety. Probably 4 stroke as I don't want to piss around mixing oil and gas.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I bought a cordless Black and Decker 18 volt. It was on sale, came with two batteries that will work with my drill which also came with two batteries. I tried it out and trimmed the whole yard and it still had juice left. Happy with the product after the first use.