Perfect game taken away by blown call by ump.

ryanator

Just happened a few minutes ago, but Galarraga pitching for the Tigers had one out left for a perfect game and the last batter grounded it and was called safe, which was not just a controversial but blown call. And if it's that close, don't try to act like your some big time ump or something calling it safe, just give it to the guy who needs that out for a Perfect GAME!

I know. I can't believe the ump called him safe. he even admitted and then apologized about missing the call. I say the league should revers the call(which really isn't a reversal since it was a mistake) and it should be a perfect game LIKE IT WAS. I know it won't happen and it really would be ard to celebrate it like it should be but it's just what I feel should be done.

So once they call it and even though it's wrong they can't reverse it?

Technically by the rules, the play is not reviewable to reverse after the call and end of game. The only thing that are reviewable are questionable home runs that could decide the games outcome.

Now, something could possibly be made for a special case (they technically could make a change for anything if they wanted), but doing it for this might make others pressure to try to go back and change other questionable plays in the past. It might create a dilema, but I think they would understand for something like this.

On MLB.com, they are saying that they are now deciding to officially review the play and possibly reverse it. They do have the power to do this, but they are probably deciding how it would fare with everyone. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5246454

I agree, blown calls are part of the game and is part of what makes the game. Being a baseball fan, I would love to see Galarraga get offical credit for a perfect game, but there will always be this contraversy over it.