Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Intel X25-M 80gig SSD

211497428.jpg

Well most of you know that I recently purchased a SSD drive. Now I was all excited for this because as you all know its a SSD drive meaning just memory and no moving parts which mean super fast speeds. Anyways I already have a 300gig velociraptor which is a 10,000 RPM drive. So this is about as fast as you get for a regular harddrive. So i will get on with my tale. I got the new SSD installed it enabled AHCI and loaded windows. Windows 7 by default is suppose to recognize that you have a SSD and disable alot of things like disk defragmenter, superfetch, indexing etc. Which can actually wear out the SSD over time. Yes you heard me right they have a life to them and the more you right to them the faster you wear them out. But for some reason mine didn't disable them by default. This actually seems to be a flaw in Windows 7 which you can read more about here: Link Also you have to download an Intel toolbox and run this program on it once a week. I don't want to do all of this I just want to load windows and go. I don't want to babysit my harddrive. Plus you really start to monitor and obsess about wearing out your drive. Did I mention that it makes no noise whatsoever? No moving parts. No how about that speed. Yes it was fast. The startup times were amazing and programs were almost instant to load. But... I'm sorry I didn't see a HUGE improvement over my velociraptor though. In fact when I loaded back up on my velociraptor alot of things were even faster on it. But to cut to the chase I ended up sending back my SSD drive for a refund. I am sorry but for the cost and size of it my velociraptor is still faster. So that is my review. In time when the cost come down to say 300gig for around $100 then it will be worth it. But as for me I will be sticking with my velociraptor.

I see your point on the price compared to the actual performance you see as well as the size. When they perform as expected and better, have larger sizes and a price that makes it justified then it will be something to consider purchasing.

At this point in time I think that really SSD is primarily for Enterprise use, where even at the $$$ price of large SSD drives the performance gain is worth it (big SQL Servers). They already have some large sized drives, but the price is way out there for the average home user and/or enthusiast. The velociraptor will certainly get a person by until a time when the price on these comes down further.

On the other hand you don't have 10,000 RPM or even 7,200 RPM options for a laptop, so I could see where a 160 GB drive would be really nice to drop into a laptop (other than the $400 price tag)

Good thing you were able to get your money back!

Ya normally they are sticklers about this but I didn't even have to pay for the shipping back or anything.

This topic has more replies, but you'll need to be signed in to view them.