Sign in to follow this  
nodle

RUMOUR: LiveTV on Xbox LIVE

GameFocus has learned from a trusted source that Microsoft is ready to announce the arrival of a live television broadcasting service to the Xbox 360 platform by 2011.

Xbox 360 users in the U.S and Canada will get something similar to Europe’s Sky TV but it gets even more interesting. Our source told us that the Xbox 360 will be used as a digital television set-top box with PVR capabilities in Canada by an important telecommunication company. While we know the name of the company behind this project in Canada, we haven’t been able to get official confirmation on who will offer the same service in the United States.

A few weeks ago, rumours of a possible Xbox Live TV channel emerged on the web but it seems that this new service will go beyond “just one channel”. We are talking about a complete list of TV channels in high definition. In other words, it’s like putting Netflix, Zune Marketplace and Sky TV all in one place.

We expect to have more details in the upcoming weeks since the US/Canada deal has already been signed.

Could Microsoft reveal the whole thing at this year’s E3? We believe so.

This wouldn't exactly surprise me I guess. MS already has some ties to this kind of stuff in some of the bigger markets around the country. Not for Xbox, but I could see this coming. Hopefully it's a universal offering and not something where if you are lucky enough to live in a viable market you might get the option...

That sounds exciting. I have been waiting for cable to go to hell since I can remember. We'll wait to see the line up before getting too excited, but there aren't many stations I care about.

• Local channels
  • FX (occasionally)
  • comedy central
  • pbs (for antique road show and there are some the kids like)
  • TBS
  • G4TV
  • Cable News (various)
  • nickelodeon
  • History
  • wait...this isn't really a few is it?

I don't need all we get, but there isn't a real option to pare them down....

If this works out, I could see people dropping cable...too early to be excited though...

This wouldn't exactly surprise me I guess. MS already has some ties to this kind of stuff in some of the bigger markets around the country. Not for Xbox, but I could see this coming. Hopefully it's a universal offering and not something where if you are lucky enough to live in a viable market you might get the option...

You mean like Fios? I want FIOS. I wish POLAR had fios. ahaha

I was pretty pumped to see that PS3 has mlb.tv in HD now. So much nicer than watching on the puter.

I think cpav was telling me about this.

This topic has more replies, but you'll need to be signed in to view them.