Sign in to follow this  
ryanator

Texting while driving.

This morning while going to work, I saw two seperate people (teenagers going to school) texting while driving. It's obvious because you see their head down with a cell phone in their hands typing away. I mean come on, this has to be dangerous. I see this going on more often now, I remember a day where I saw at least 4 or 5 drivers doing it (again not to be biased, but teenagers most likely). I'll be at a red light, and here comes zooming along across the intersection on the green light is a texter not even looking up, ASSUMING the light is still green. No wonder we are seeing more accidents being the cause of cell phones. I know it's tempting to use the cell phone sometimes and it's almost kind of evolved with have so much technology at your fingertips, but something should be done about this for obvious safety reasons.

In some provinces of Canada, including the one I live in (Ontario); it is illegal to use these kinds of devices while driving unless you’re using a headset.

Fines can range from $155 to $500 depending on how big of an asshole you are.

I don't have a problem with talking on a cell while driving, the main thing is people need to use common sense and pay attention to the road while driving regardless of if they are talking. In town I don't bother, but on a long trip I'll grab my headset and take it along, more for comfort than anything.

Texting on the other hand is not cool. I'll admit I've been guilty of doing it a time or two. You can't pay attention to the road when your doing this. Maybe on an old school phone that you are very familiar with and your pressing 1 of 8 buttons a number of times. Even then your still going to look and proofread it most likely. On new phones though, such as my Touch Pro 2, it's about impossible to text with one hand, since it has a decent sized slide out keyboard, similar to many newer texting phones. Trying to drive while use such a device is definately not safe at all.

In some provinces of Canada, including the one I live in (Ontario); it is illegal to use these kinds of devices while driving unless you’re using a headset.

Fines can range from $155 to $500 depending on how big of an asshole you are.

See this is the way it should be I have said it before. There should be a law, either a headset like Exile said or Bluetooth. Anything else should be a ticket. I am glad Canada got it right.

See this is the way it should be I have said it before. There should be a law, either a headset like Exile said or Bluetooth. Anything else should be a ticket. I am glad Canada got it right.

Meh... talking isn't a big deal though. I'm sure you don't keep both your hands glue to the wheel while you drive... change the volume, heating, get a drink, etc. A headset is actually nicer to use in a car anyway, but I don't think a law requiring it to talk on the phone will make a difference. If people are distracted by their conversations it's going to happen regardless of if they use a headset or not.

Again, texting on the other hand is a whole other story.

This topic has more replies, but you'll need to be signed in to view them.