Sign in to follow this  
jmanz

Ant Hill

I have a small ant hill in/on my lawn that I'm going to go to war with. I'm going to start with pouring a couple gallons of boiling water on and in the hill. If that doesn't work, I will take more drastic measures. I will keep updating.

Thanks for the tip! I've heard that you have to kill the Queen, otherwise they just keep reproducing in that area. The Queen must die!

I like the gasoline idea. Or even a garden hose and flood them out. I use to use firecrackers as a kid. But one stick on TNT should do the job.

But really google it there are some great ideas. Sounds like the hose thing other people suggest too. It gets the hose of jmanz gets the TNT again.

There are several methods of ridding your lawn or garden from the hazards created by ants beginning with organic methods. Start by drowning the ants with boiling water. Approximately three gallons of boiling water to each mound should do the trick. Follow with a natural repellent of citrus peelings and water. Blend in a blender and pour it over the anthill. Another natural remedy is to mix equal parts of sugar and borax. Place the sugar/borax mixture strategically around the yard in small containers (jar lids work just fine). The ants are attracted to the sugar and carry it back to the mound and within a week or two the borax will kill the mound. One other natural remedy is to use instant grits or cream of wheat. Sprinkle the grits over the mound. The ants will eat the grits and the grits will expand and blow up inside them. This method has been known to remove an ant hill within a day or two.

Another natural deterrent to an invasion of ants is to plant mint, bearing in mind that mint is a very invasive plant and may take over more of your garden than you are willing to give. If the mint plant proves too aggressive for you, brew a strong mint tea to create a natural insecticide and pour it on the mound.

If you cannot keep ants at bay with natural remedies, chemical choices may be the answer. There are several chemical choices on the market ranging from ant baits to granules to liquid insecticide. Fire ants should be treated with granules. The worker ants will take the granules back to the queen and when the queen dies, the mound dies. Leaf cutter ants will not eat an ant bait or granule. If you can find the ant colony, drench the mount with a liquid insecticide. Diatomaceous earth, available at swimming pool supply stores, is one chemical that has been proven to kill ants and is said to be harmless to use around humans and pets. Sprinkle the diatomaceous earth around the mound and across the path of the ants to dehydrate and kill them.

Just remember, ants are hardy creatures and removing them can prove to be difficult. It may be necessary to treat multiple times before you have completely removed all the ants from your yard. If you cannot succeed on your own, calling in a professional may be the best option.

I don't know what the junk we always use is called, but it would be along the lines of the Sugar/Borax mixture in nodles post. Put a bit of the stuff on some cardboard around the hill and they take it to the rest of the colony. Works great