Sign in to follow this  
ryanator

Drill 3 inch hole though 2X6 without hole saw

Ok, does anyone know how to drill a large clean hole through 1.5" thick wood wthout using a hole saw (don't have one and costs $15-20)? I can drill a series of holes in a circle, notch the hole out, then sand the bumbs down, but that's a lot of work. Any other way???

That's an expensive hole saw you are looking at. I bought a set of them for quite a bit less than that. Outside of doing all the work you mention doing I can't think of any real easy way. Even at the 1.5" thickness a hole saw will likely not be deep enough. If you were looking at deep hole saws and could get a shallower one cheaper then I would suggest the shallow hole saw and using a wood chisel, or a screw driver. Just drill as deep as you can, break out the piece and then drill the rest of the way. That or use a jig saw or something along those lines if you have one

That's an expensive hole saw you are looking at. I bought a set of them for quite a bit less than that. Outside of doing all the work you mention doing I can't think of any real easy way. Even at the 1.5" thickness a hole saw will likely not be deep enough. If you were looking at deep hole saws and could get a shallower one cheaper then I would suggest the shallow hole saw and using a wood chisel, or a screw driver. Just drill as deep as you can, break out the piece and then drill the rest of the way. That or use a jig saw or something along those lines if you have one

Yeah, I could rent a shallow hole saw for $3 and do the drill, chip, and drill rest of way method. The one I'm talking about for $15 is a deep hole saw. I've tried using a jig saw before on that depth and it doesn't work so well.