Fluxoid
Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Apple "refuses to repair smokers' Macs"

Can we do this? Then we would get no business.

Apple is reportedly refusing to repair the Macs of smokers because the tobacco residue inside the machines poses a health risk.

Two separate US Apple repair centres have allegedly told customers that they couldn't repair their Macs because their machines had been contaminated by cigarette smoke.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/353512/apple-refuses-to-repair-smokers-macs

This is one of those issues that comes down to technicality of how much is considered a dangerous level.  I know that tobacco residue can build up to a pretty gross level is someone smokes a lot near something and can see Apple's point.  Another interesting piece in the article at the end says on how there is arsenic in the hardware from manufacturing, though Apple can just say that it's "contained" and poses no risk to certified technicians.

You should see some that we get in here. So thick with smoke that the fans clog from the residue. it's not dust either it has a different feel to it. A sticky feel. The cases will be solid yellow.

I used to smoke.  My computer was on the desktop and the ash tray was in the front of the PC, near one of the intakes.  The case on that PC wasn't bad, but like nodle mentioned, the fans & heatsinks had this gunk built on it that was hard to clean.  I still smoked when I used that machine, so I didn't notice the smell.

I think its a missed opportunity to charge to replace the fans and heat sinks, but apple can afford to turn away customers I guess.