Fluxoid
Sign in to follow this  
WayneKerr

Now that Walmart sells iphone, will ND get some love?

WayneKerr    118

Now that Walmart sells iphone, will ND get some love?  Doubt it.  My phones battery doesn't hold a charge very long.  Until recently it wasn't at all. But now it seems to hold it a little longer.  I'd like to hold out for news on the Android platforms...  Probably won't.

WayneKerr    118

Still with a contract with AT&T so no.

How long can that exclusive contract last?  I guess until people stop buying the iphone....

ephing at&t.  Cingular clearly out paced every at&t wireless market I ever heard off.  Then they bought them out.  I thought competition was supposed to be good for the consumer?

nodle    617

Still with a contract with AT&T so no.

How long can that exclusive contract last?  I guess until people stop buying the iphone....

ephing at&t.  Cingular clearly out paced every at&t wireless market I ever heard off.  Then they bought them out.  I thought competition was supposed to be good for the consumer?

I was wondering the same. maybe 5 year? 10 year? The would have made more money if they wouldn't have done that.

ndboarder    204

Well the exclusive deal was originally 3 years I believe.  The big issue here is that regardless of AT&T or cincular, there is no true coverage by either in ND.  The only network in ND that the iPhone could work on is Sprint (GSM).  Verizon and Alltel are poor old CDMA cellular networks.  Aside from losing the exclusive deal, apple would need to release a CDMA version of the iPhone (which would have a lower battery life) and loose some of the nice features, such as visual voice mail.

On the other hand.  If you can fake being from MN (get someone down there to help you out), you could potentially become an AT&T customer and "change" your address.  The iphone will work up here on the sprint network (so if you live in a rural area you are F'ed, by rural I mean not too close to interstate in this case).  They just won't let you order them because they have to pay royalties to sprint for you to use their towers up here.  

So even if the exclusive contracts run out, you'll be stuck with sprint, or waiting for AT&T to put up towers in ND

ndboarder    204

I should also add, that just in case you did somehow find an iPhone in an ND walmart, or say you travelled to 60 miles from here in MN and found a Walmart to buy one of these, be wary of doing so.

You'll still need to be able to activate the thing with AT&T, which, once you punch in a ND zip code will not work, so you'll then have to crack the thing to basically make it an iPod touch with a camera

LK    7

There are a ton of college students that have iPhones that attend NDSU, Concordia and MSUM (in Moorhead) that have iPhones.  So I think it could be done.  I'd get one if someone volunteers to cover the data plan portion of the bill.  I'd be able to give it a real honest assessment.

Any takers?

Fergus Falls is the closest Location that you can buy one that I'm aware of....

nodle    617

There are a ton of college students that have iPhones that attend NDSU, Concordia and MSUM (in Moorhead) that have iPhones.  So I think it could be done.  I'd get one if someone volunteers to cover the data plan portion of the bill.  I'd be able to give it a real honest assessment.

Any takers?

Maybe they are just holding their Ipod touches up to their ear to be cool?

ndboarder    204

Any takers?

Yes you FGT, as I said, the phone will work up here... you just have to get it somewhere else.  So if you are a college kid coming from somewhere other than ND (which there are plenty of them), then you could get your iPhone at home and go to college in ND and get one. 

LK    7

Fake your address or use someone elses...activate at the store and done.  Quit whining or I'll slap you.

nodle    617

Fake your address or use someone elses...activate at the store and done.  Quit whining or I'll slap you.

I'm not whining... I'm just saying your an idiot

I agree with this post! :happy: