Fluxoid
Sign in to follow this  
ndboarder

iTunes is a resource hog

Alright, I used iTunes once before and was less than impressed (back when Pepsi was giving songs away -- i hated it so I used one and gave the rest of my free songs away)

Now I have been toying with it again and good lord is it a POS. 50 MB of my RAM being used by it, and I have a fair share of resources free and it still brings my activities to a near stop for a few seconds and completely stops play back for a few seconds occasionally, and far to frequently starts skipping, sounding like when you have vinyl skipp, ski, skippi, skipping.

Any veterans of the junk software know of a way to tune the performance?

I totally agree with you. The Ipod is a good Mp3 player, but Itunes suck. They need to make so many changes to it.

Itunes does use up a lot of resources. I have a high end pc and it still takes a lot to just start the program.

The computers I use it on aren't at the top end anymore, but are up there as well. I found some suggestions and tried the following, which seems to have helped at the time being (for audio output not being so flaky)

Control Panel -> Quicktime -> Audio tab -> check Safemode (waveOut only) -> Apply -> OK -> restart iTunes if it was running

According to what I could find at apple.com this helps get around issues with some sound cards

This has been dead a while, and I have a new complaint about iTunes.  Our dumb network guy put my PC on the domain a couple weeks ago and yesterday I opened iTunes for the first time since this occurred.  Well it went and did some installing for the new user and opened up fine, but it won't close.  I shut it, it closes, then it starts itself up again.  It is awesome :smt011  oh well... just wanted to let that out

This topic has more replies, but you'll need to be signed in to view them.