Fluxoid
Sign in to follow this  
C Pav

Pre E3 comments and takes by Corey. Your takes?

So if you have been reading any technology and/or video game news you have surely heard the big announcements from the big 3. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have all started off with major pre E3 announcements concerning future systems and games. I will now give my take on all that has been stated.

My first big comment and opinion concerns Sony. They have announced the pricing for the Playstation 3. The low end version will be $499. That comes with a 20 GB hard drive and lacks other features of the high end system. The high end system will be $599 and have a 60 GB drive. The low end system will not have HD support, have less controller ports, and a few other features deleted that come with the high end system What does this mean to me? Sony is cruising for a ruse awakening come launch time as these prices are just too high. They will draw the hardcore fans that will spend anything on a Sony product but will more then likely lose the casual gamer.

ANother big news piece is a big win for Microsoft. They have grabbed the exclusability of Grand Theft Auto 4. This will surely take away from Sony as it has been a big seller for them for a long time. Microsoft has also posted a Halo 3 video that I have yet to see as well as rumors of a hand held system.

My last piece is on Nintendo. The name of the new system is wierd but the concept of what it will offer is pretty cool. I had my doubts but I think the new controller will bring new innovations to the table and offer much needed changes to games. I have not read much else on the Wii except it will sell at launch for $250.

I will add more when more news is available and I have the time to type it. What is everyone else's view on this stream of information?

Well I think when the PS3 finally gets released the price will be dropped some. I mean I can justify paying more for new technology. But at the same time if SONY lowers their price they can sell more units. Another words price vs. quanity.

I agree that sony may lose some of their market at the price they are planning to ask. Granted people were willing to pay that for the 360 in desperation to get one, but combined with the 360 being out already and the Wii debuting at a much more reasonable price, it will probably cause some problems.

I'm sure there will also be people willing to buy the trimmed down versions, but I for one wouldn't really want to pay for the cheapest version lacking features, and then later find I need to go a step or two up to get added funcitonality in games (or if future games require some of the features being trimmed out of the low end system)

A new halo game will be an obvious draw for Microsoft, since it is one of the main reasons many people had the original Xbox. GTA is huge for MS as well.

I think Nintendo will be successful, now hearing their release price, and as has been discussed in previous topics, the controller seems odd (to me), but they'll likely come up with innovative ways to use it. As E mentioned it would be cool as a light saber, and i can see a lot of possibillities with sports games as well.

I have no doubt that Sony will do well with the PS3, but I don't think they will continue to dominate the market as they have since the release of the original PS.

Here it is Wednesday, May 10th 2006 and just want to add a few comments.

First is about the Grand Theft Auto 4 news. It is not going to be 360 exclusive like I stated. It will come out simutaneously for the 360 and the PS3 but that is still good news for the 360.

I like the fact that Nintendo is making a standard controller for the Wii. I am one that would like to be able to choose if I want the old standard or the new "crazy" way of playing games.

News on games I will save for later since once E3 actually starts, many trailers, demos, and screenshots will be avialbale on many sites. I am a huge Square-Enix fan and they already announced there lineup of upcoming games. Many new FInal Fantasy games to be had but Microsoft is left out with nothing for their system. This hurst because the japanese market is one that you need to hit for largest success and profit when video games are concerned.

I will post later when I have more to say.

Nintendo making a "regular" controller is smart. Now I am kinda interested. Espically with that new mario game.

Actually that new Mario game you spoke of and had the link for is for the DS. I think another new one similar to Sunshine is coming for the Wii.

Nintendo making a "regular" controller is smart. Now I am kinda interested. Espically with that new mario game.

This topic has more replies, but you'll need to be signed in to view them.