Bad concrete work from contractor

ryanator

With the city mandating concrete work, we were required to fix some cracked sidewalk slabs. Even though i could have repaired it with patching it and still be nice and level, I had to get a licensed concrete guy to pour a two new slabs and some curb and gutter.

the problem happened when he poured and leveled one of the slabs to the existing curb and not the neighboring slabs, rebared in and all. It's one full inch higher to the ones next to it. I would think common sense would say to even to the running pathway slabs. Not only will it give problems with puddles and ice build up, but is against ADA regulations. The city inspector looked at it right away and said he had to fix it, he had someone come out and grind a little, barely making any difference, not understanding it's still a dangerous abrupt change. Back to the city inspector we go.

Before:

5jzJN0u.thumb.jpg.5207d84b5f6179fccca54db0ef762b02.jpg

After:

MuFbx2O.thumb.jpg.4314213b0b541affbec5aa4174225174.jpg

mxVNS2B.thumb.jpg.a5b4c5248f43cdcc397fbc018d36e721.jpg

They leveled to the curb, there's no regulation to do so, if one slab is being replaced, common sense says to level with the neighboring slabs. There are regulations for the pathway of level of change and slope (1:20 max). Original cross slope is still under 1:48. If leveled with each other in the first place, if I wanted to lift them up with mud or foam jacking, they all go up together. Also remember, they have to put in rebar, so it's already fused to the others at different heights. But now that there is a slope at the edges, you can't just cut through the rebar and lift the neighboring slabs, there would be a dip at the edges.

• 3 months later...
Did you ever get this resolved @ryanator ? We have been cutting concrete out of my office side this last week and they dug out a leaking frost free hydrant that caused the concrete to sag and crack real bad, and they will be repouring it here next week and I was thinking of your sidewalk issue.

Did you ever get this resolved @ryanator ? We have been cutting concrete out of my office side this last week and they dug out a leaking frost free hydrant that caused the concrete to sag and crack real bad, and they will be repouring it here next week and I was thinking of your sidewalk issue.

Yes, they finally offered to either deduct $200 from the total bill or redo it. I asked them to redo it and then i gave them a little extra money.