AC charger broken pin fix - MacGuyver edition

ryanator

So I had a Dell charger that had a broken center pin. The easiest thing I had around that was the same diameter (~ 1/32")was a small steel paper clip. Steel has some conductivity, so I thought I'd try it.

I had a 1/32" drill bit for my dremel, I used a small automatic center punch to get a nice divet started, and then I drilled into the center as best as possible and measured the length of paper clip needed. I tested it and it now charges! It's in there firmly, but wanted to secure it better. I couldn't get a soldering iron in there without melting the plastic molding, so I put some dollops of super glue at the base after have the paper clip piece in it fully.

My motivation was WWMD, "what would MacGuyver do?"

FA9-DEC9-D-727-B-46-FD-B3-D3-31-CD266-FBFA8.thumb.jpg.83a5b52b08fbb3d9c03293e6ef1faa5e.jpg

• Like 1

Hahaha nice work, can’t complain there if it works right? Those adapters were known to break. Still don’t know why no company can’t copy Apple’s design yet. The magnetic one.

The new Microsoft Surfaces have magnetic chargers now I see.

• Like 1