Has 4K not really caught on?

nodle

You know I use to love the whole 3D phase. I know it just kinda died out. But the same seems to be with 4K. I mean it seems like it's not really accepted at all. Shoot we have a 4K tv and I don't think I have ever watched anything 4K on it. The stores sell very few 4K movies or shows. It reminds me of the 3D phase, just a small section for them. It seems the general consensus is people are just happy with 1080p and lower.

I think it's still in an adoption phase. Not everyone is going to jump up onto a new TV that quickly and their 1080p sets are still kickin. There's not much TV broadcast in 4K, so the main thing is movies. I would say there's a large selection of 4K movies though. With 3D, only some movies were shot and produced in 3D. Nearly every movie today is shot in 4k and available on 4K disc/digital. Then theirs gaming. There's only a handful of 4k games out there, and to take advantage of that people have to get one of the high end consoles (Xbox One X / PS4 Pro), and even then a lot of them are more like 2k with upscaling.

So people that like movies and games, or just tech in general may upgrade right away. I don't foresee 4K going the way of 3D because it's just a resolution bump that doesn't require glasses or other accessories. Eventually it will gain mass adoption since most new TVs are 4K.

It reminds me of a lot of things I guess. The same thing happened with digital cameras, everyone wanted more and more mega pixels. Now there are so many no one even pay attention anymore (unless your a high end photographer). Also reminds me of CPUs. We always wanted faster and faster, then they kinda went overboard on speed, swapped to multi cores etc. The general population I think more looks at price point anymore than even specs on PCs (I guess this is an entirely different subject) but people I think (not all like you said with the right technology minded guy) they just think to themselves "It's clear enough". 1080p was a huge break though coming from what we were used to, and while 4k is beautiful and crisp and clear, I don't think it is quite the leap like 1080p was. It is on paper though just not in peoples minds. I still remember the first time I saw a 1080p tv I was blown away. I think most tv makers are playing with different screen materials and different types of back lighting anymore.

Oh and since were on topic and I just saw this in a news feed this morning...

His argument is basically that you are better off spending $500 on a monitor that's 1080 or 1440p with a high refresh rate than you are spending the same $500 on a 4K monitor that only has a 60hz refresh rate. This is true, but only applicable to PC gamers. Console players may as well go for a 4K experience where the images will look slightly better, because you'll be lucky to get 60fps anyway and most games are still 30fps on console