Vehicle maintenance

nodle

How many of you do your own vehicle maintenance?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you do your own vehicle maintenance?

• Change oil
    • Replace air filter
    • Tire rotations
    • Major mechanical
    • Light mechanical
    • I take my car in for all maitenance

I want to do my own oil, need a good oil catch pan. I have done spark plugs, brake pads, oil O2 sensor, radiator, but nothing that gets into the major parts of the engine or transmission. My internal door latch borke in my passenger door car recently, I opened up the door panel and fixed it with zip ties (they used a proprietary plastic connector to hook the two metal rods together).

With tires, which I need a pair right now, I like the convenience of a shop putting new tires on, balancing, and rotating. There's some equipment I don't have room for right now.

I am surprised on how many people don't change their own oil, or even an air filter. I think these types of things should be taught in school (I think they use to). Even fixing a flat tire. Most of this stuff is actually easy and sometimes fun, but might seem hard until you do it once or twice. The hardest thing for me was replaced the knock sensors and intake valves gaskets.

Look man, changing oil is one thing but I think leaving the main engine stuff like you mention to the shops. I would never get into the engine and stuff due to too many things that can be ruined easily and costing you multiple times more to fix. I might be thinking more deeply then what you mean but stuff like rockers, pistons, head gaskets and stuff...nope.

Tires also a big no. I had shop class and I know all too well the NOT FUN of putting the tire on the rim.

I am proud enough to say I change my own oil and easy filters. Also replaced the alternator on the old Lumina. Brakes not sure I would tackle on my own but father-in-law and I did them several times among other more difficult repairs.

I could do most of these things, but it's easier and faster for a mechanic with a proper workspace, lift, tools, etc to do it properly..

I will do oil once in a while - but it's not really much cheaper to do your own, especially if you do the job and disposal properly.

NOT FUN of putting the tire on the rim.

I just meant rotating, you would need a specialty tool for this.

I could do most of these things, but it's easier and faster for a mechanic with a proper workspace, lift, tools, etc to do it properly..

You know what to do next, vehicle hydraulic lift in your garage.

• 1 month later...
Well I tackled installing a new exhaust system on my truck last night. Went pretty well though. The bolts holding the flange were pretty rusty, but they came off easy than I thought they would. The rubber supports were a bitch a well.But got everything off and dropped. It will be easy going on with the aftermarket though because of the way it's designed. Can't wait to hear it when it's all done.

LOL - I went to an AC place because I was tired of my AC not throwing out enough air and the first thing he checked was the cabin filters

He said switch these out and if you have issues I can go back - he also asked if I have ever replaced them and I was like NOPE! I've never even knew where they were located. EEEK!

• 7 months later...
Changed the oil on our Pontiac. It's so easy to do an oil change on it but the old Chevy is a pain. The Traverse we still have a free oil change left at the dealer so have that scheduled for next week. Not sure I will want to handle that one myself ever just because the changes in warranty if done yourself and specific oil they recommend. Once out of warranty and older I might.

I dunno about oil changes sometimes. I think some shops could do it cheaper than me doing it myself, not with the synthetic oil I use though. Then on one of the vehicles I do, the filter is on the front of the engine and points toward the radiator. It's kind of a pain to reach, but the worst is that due to location once you loosen the thing it just spills oil all over as it runs down through the compartment

I dunno about oil changes sometimes. I think some shops could do it cheaper than me doing it myself, not with the synthetic oil I use though. Then on one of the vehicles I do, the filter is on the front of the engine and points toward the radiator. It's kind of a pain to reach, but the worst is that due to location once you loosen the thing it just spills oil all over as it runs down through the compartment

Yup my Honda civic they put horizontal on the back side of the engine WTF! I changed it yesterday and had oil run all down my arm. My Subaru is a dream, it's got it's on cavity and is vertical on the bottom so the oil drops straight down. Even better is their new system on all 2013 models and up, check this out skip to 2:50...

• 2 years later...
I replaced my brake pads and rotors on my front wheels this weekend. I have done brake pads many times before, but never the rotors. Was very satisfying to do this myself, all for the cost of $80 (4 pads and 2 rotors). My brake pads lasted 5 years and they were down to almost nothing. The rotors were rusted on like expected, but just carefully hammered them off since I was replacing them and not caring if I etched them up. I ended up having to buy a bigger 1/2" ratchet with extending handle since the 3/8" standard one I had got stripped internally with a cheater tube trying to take off the bigger caliper bracket bolts (not the caliper itself, those bolts to remove the caliper and take off the pads are a little smaller and not as rusted) . So add the cost of $35 plus a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter socket, but something I wanted and could have used for a while anyways.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Well replaced my transaxle fluid today. It wasn't had at all, need a pump though to get it back up in there. I also missed the pan and made a mess on the floor, but that's what kitty litter is for. I'm going to help my Dad replace his rear sway bar bushings next.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Started getting the check engine light coming on consistently, and at times my car started to not accelerate when pressing the gas peddle.  I look under the hood to check things out.  Something always seems to happen after getting it serviced (oil, tires, etc..), where someone forgets to connect something back.  I saw that the main air hose to the throttle body was disconnected, but sat flush to it so couldn't tell right away.  I also haven't replace the engine air filter in a long time (my mistake).  I borrowed my brother's obd2 scanner for assurance to get the codes and most were related to a air vacuum leak (as expected).  And another was for the Mass Air Flow sensor.  All of these together was probably confusing the computer on how much fuel to use.

I replaced the air filter, sprayed and cleaned the inside of the throttle body with non chlorinated brake cleaner (safe to use), and bought Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner (electrical contact cleaner) and took out the MAF and cleaned it well.  I then reset all codes, not only with the scanner, but disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset the ECU. 

So far after 50-60 miles, no lights have come on and it's running well.  Good thing too, I just bought all 4 new tires. 😃

Edited by ryanator
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ryanator said:

Started getting the check engine light coming on consistently, and at times my car started to not accelerate when pressing the gas peddle.  I look under the hood to check things out.  Something always seems to happen after getting it serviced (oil, tires, etc..), where someone forgets to connect something back.  I saw that the main air hose to the throttle body was disconnected, but sat flush to it so couldn't tell right away.  I also haven't replace the engine air filter in a long time (my mistake).  I borrowed my brother's obd2 scanner for assurance to get the codes and most were related to a air vacuum leak (as expected).  And another was for the Mass Air Flow sensor.  All of these together was probably confusing the computer on how much fuel to use.

I replaced the air filter, sprayed and cleaned the inside of the throttle body with non chlorinated brake cleaner (safe to use), and bought Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner (electrical contact cleaner) and took out the MAF and cleaned it well.  I then reset all codes, not only with the scanner, but disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset the ECU. 

So far after 50-60 miles, no lights have come on and it's running well.  Good thing too, I just bought all 4 new tires. 😃

Good to hear! Hope it stays running well and without issue...until the next issue of course.