Fluxoid
nodle

Ruger AR-556

Davidc    98
3 minutes ago, nodle said:

Ran any rounds though this yet?

I cleaned one of my pistols last night from when me @jmanz went shooting. Gonna do another tonight. It's kinda fun actually.

The wife hates the cleaning fluid smell. Have to go out to the garage or barn to do it. 

nodle    622
3 minutes ago, Davidc said:

The wife hates the cleaning fluid smell. Have to go out to the garage or barn to do it. 

I love the smell of Hoppes.

Davidc    98
2 minutes ago, nodle said:

I love the smell of Hoppes.

I'd like to use it as a cologne. I've picked the AR556 up a number of times. Sure like how it feels. The bushmaster Varminter with the 24 inch barrel and bipod is pretty unwieldy and heavy. (not a truck gun by any stretch) (limited to sniper gun almost exclusively) 

Looks pretty close to this one:

sell091310_014.jpg

• Haha 1

nodle    622
4 minutes ago, Davidc said:

It was a dirty thing to do. 

I like em dirty, just like I like my women.

nodle    622

I have been just using Wolf ammo .223, since I can get it for about $6 locally for 20 rounds. They are just FMJ, great for target shooting. Home defense maybe a Hornady.

292054_ts.jpg

nodle    622
1 minute ago, Davidc said:

That's a good price. Do they group well? I suppose in a defense emergency, they'd take out an attacker. 

Quite well actually. I have used Wolf ammo a lot. Russian made and always a good price. My carry stuff I always go with a hollow point, but for target shooting works great.

• Informative 1

nodle    622
1 minute ago, Davidc said:

When you think about it, that's what 22 magnum prices were for the longest time. I wonder why 22 magnum gouges a guy so heavy? 

Supply and demand.

nodle    622

Got the AR cleaned tonight. Not to hard to do, but one thing to get is a bore guide, it's a lifesaver. Thankfully my Dad has all the setup for it.

Davidc    98

Ya I got a nylon bore guide. Keep from scratching stuff up. Some folks refuse to run brushes plastic or bronze down the bore. I don't know what to think on that. 

nodle    622

A bronze brush is ok in the right manner, but not every time, its made for a lot of rounds and a pretty gunked up barrel. Never pull back on them though. Same with a patch I always push straight though. You can "short stroke" them, some guys do, but I prefer one direction.

Davidc    98

Adam,You don’t need to break in the barrel of your new Ruger AR-556. Take it out and shoot it. When I tested the AR-556 I treated it with Militec-1. It ran without a hitch and required minimal cleaning after 1,000 rounds. Although I expect any high quality lube to work well, the Militec-1 exceeded my expectations, so you might want to give it a try.Enjoy shooting your Ruger, it should give you many years of shooting pleasure.

Ed

Torture Test