Fluxoid
nodle

Ruger AR-556

Davidc    98

How about a Min-14 Target model?

Five Reasons To Reconsider The Ruger Mini-14

I've got one. So far with off the shelf hornady I'm getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I've tried a little tuning with the harmonic balancer. I read an article which I believe was the American rifleman where with black hills 55 gr, the author was getting 1 inch groups. I've since picked up a bunch of those but haven't had a chance to try it out. The article gave details on where to set the harmonic balancer. What I like about the Mini-14 and M1 is the action. You can throw handfuls of dirt in there and they will keep on trucking. I've got a Bushmaster 24 inch stainless that I can't say the same about. The Bushmaster does do 3/4 inch groups though.

nodle    622

I like the more tactical look of the ARs. Plus there are so many bolt on parts for it out there. I remember when you couldn't even get an AR (Obama days). But now they have really come down in price and availability.

ryanator    185

Both very good budget options, nothing wrong with them in terms of reliability and function and good choices to have something and not worrying about much fuss.  Kind of a set it and forget it.  What it comes down to is more looks and feel.

The Ruger Ar556 is going to be the more modern adaptation with faster acquisition and the black scary rifle look (some may not want this).  You will also learn how to use and maintain newer weapons in the AR platform.  This rifle will have more parts and cheaper good quality magazines available.  Parts are everywhere and easy to find.

The Ruger Mini 14 has the more traditional look, ergonomics and looks less evil (patterned after the M14 or civilian version called the M1A which uses 7.62x51).  The parts are more proprietary, so if things break or need replacement, will be harder to find on a wide scale.  To fix this, make sure to buy extra recommended replacement parts to have on hand.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Davidc    98

Yeh I believe Obama was the greatest gun salesman of all time. 22 LR have really come down too. Incredible.

• Agree 1

jmanz    128

Dick's Sporting Goods had buy one, get one free boxes of shells. Unheard of lately.

Davidc    98

I kinda wished I hadn't gotten the Big Boy. Instead the steel version is more in line with the look that I prefer. (less weight too) The octagon barrel makes it look like a muzzle loader. Although the 22 mag frontier Lever doesn't look bad with the octagon.

Davidc    98
On 6/12/2017 at 0:12 PM, Davidc said:

How about a Min-14 Target model?

Five Reasons To Reconsider The Ruger Mini-14

I've got one. So far with off the shelf hornady I'm getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I've tried a little tuning with the harmonic balancer. I read an article which I believe was the American rifleman where with black hills 55 gr, the author was getting 1 inch groups. I've since picked up a bunch of those but haven't had a chance to try it out. The article gave details on where to set the harmonic balancer. What I like about the Mini-14 and M1 is the action. You can throw handfuls of dirt in there and they will keep on trucking. I've got a Bushmaster 24 inch stainless that I can't say the same about. The Bushmaster does do 3/4 inch groups though.

I found the original article I was trying to cite.

The Mini-14 is rarely described as being pinpoint accurate, and in fact, until now it was never made to be. With some modifications, Ruger has turned this ubiquitous truck gun into a rifle ideally suited for chewing out bullseyes. I'd call the Mini-14 Target Rifle accurate any day.

True to the nature of the Mini-14, I experienced no failures to feed or fire during testing, and that was during approximately 400 rounds of 12 ammunition types over three days.

• Like 1

Davidc    98

The accuracy of the Black Hills 55 grain V-Max load was especially satisfying, placing five shots into just five-eighths of an inch at 100 yards, and this was repeatable all day long, until the ammo ran out.  As stated above, I was well pleased with the accuracy of every load tested.

For those who have been wanting a target grade heavy-barreled Mini-14 without turning to the aftermarket; it is here.

Davidc    98
On 6/12/2017 at 11:51 AM, nodle said:

Anyone been around these? I looked at one over the weekend at a good price. They seem like a pretty basic AR. I wouldn't mind getting one. Reviews aren't to bad on them.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ar556/models.html

I'm thinking about sending the wife in to pick one of these up. Price and being Ruger. Noticed kind of a peep site on these. With my current glasses, target acquisition is tough with scopes. 

Davidc    98

Talked to Travis. They have a sale coming and they will be going for 499.99 

I'm afraid the bolt cutters will be coming out for the wallet chain. 

Many thanks go out to Nodle for bringing it to our attention. (reviews / youtube video etc)

Edited by Davidc
  • Winner 1

nodle    622
4 hours ago, Davidc said:

Talked to Travis. They have a sale coming and they will be going for 499.99 

I'm afraid the bolt cutters will be coming out for the wallet chain. 

Many thanks go out to Nodle for bringing it to our attention. (reviews / youtube video etc)

I don't think you can really go wrong. It would had been my second choice.

• Winner 1

Davidc    98

Looks like I'm on Rand Paul's mailing list:

Dear Fellow Patriot,  Every day that goes by without an announcement from the Trump administration is only emboldening anti-gun statists at the United Nations.  They know that one simple Executive Action from Donald Trump's administration -- announcing that the U.S. will no longer support their global gun ban -- could crush their goal of imposing the U.N.'s so-called "Small Arms Treaty" in the United States . . .  But the questions remain: Will he do it? And why hasn't he yet? Are anti-gun New York advisors in his administration in Washington, D.C. trying to convince him to leave the Treaty untouched for "security?"  Fellow Patriot, with the stakes so high, you and I can't take anything for granted.  That's why it's absolutely critical you fill out and sign the Official Firearms Sovereignty Survey that I'll link you to in a moment!  As I'll explain shortly, the longer the Trump administration sits on its hands, the more dangerous our situation becomes . . .  And should this scheme ever be imposed in the United States, it would be nothing short of a global gun control DISASTER.  After reading through the details of the Treaty, it's hard to see how our Second Amendment could survive such an assault.  Perhaps the worst of the Treaty's provisions can be found in Article V, which mandates countries establish a "National Control List" -- or a NATIONAL GUN REGISTRATION database!  You and I both know gun registration is just the first step toward outright CONFISCATION.  And the U.N. is already plotting their next step -- developing new "International Small Arms Control Standards" (ISACS).  Their goal is to impose these radical anti-gun initiatives on every nation who signs the U.N. "Small Arms Treaty." Introductory language already includes: 

***  Mandated national "screening" for all persons seeking to own guns, giving bureaucrats the final say on whether or not you're "competent" enough to own a gun;

*** Restrictive licensing for gun and ammo sales, and perhaps even bans on certain types of firearms. This could include anything from semi-auto rifles to shotguns to handguns!

***  Restrictions on the number of guns and amount of ammo any "properly-licensed" individual may legally own;

***  Bans on magazines holding more than ten rounds;

***  Bans on owning a firearm for self-defense -- unless a citizen can somehow demonstrate need and get federal government approval.

To date, 89 nations have ratified the Treaty. Another 130 -- including the United States -- have signed on signaling conceptual support.  Now, Treaty advocates are bragging the U.S. will ultimately be FORCED to comply with terms of the Treaty "because of peer pressure but also market pressure."  As one anti-gun country's foreign minister stated:  "[W]e expect the U.S. to abide by the Treaty even if ratification will take some time." That's why it's so critical that the Trump administration acts now to end all U.S. support for this Treaty.  The longer the United States remains a signatory to this Treaty, the more likely it is that these anti-gun statists will be right.  As the largest economy and number-one market in the world, the United States can make or break the U.N.'s "Small Arms Treaty."  On one hand, should Mr. Trump announce the U.S. no longer supports the Treaty, it could light the fuse that ultimately blows this scheme up worldwide.  But on the other hand, continued U.S. support for the scheme -- intentionally playing into the hands of gun control advocates or not -- will only allow Treaty specifications to become more entrenched and far more difficult to get rid of down the line.  And ultimately, law-abiding gun owners like you and me will pay the price with our freedom.  That's why your action is so critical to break through President Trump's wall of advisors and ensure he hears the voices of Second Amendment supporters all over the country.  Many of those advisors (some with strongly anti-gun views) are taking every opportunity not to "rock the boat" on any issue –- including the U.N.'s "Small Arms Treaty."  Many are even pushing the United Nations' lie -- straight from their Office of Disarmament Affairs -- that this Treaty is really about combating, "insurgents, armed gang members, pirates, [and] terrorists!"  

Lock and load. 

nodle    622

If I was president I would make a national "shooting day" holiday. Where you get a day off to go target shooting with your family. I would like to see how the Lefts like that.

• Like 1

jmanz    128
5 minutes ago, nodle said:

If I was president I would make a national "shooting day" holiday. Where you get a day off to go target shooting with your family. I would like to see how the Lefts like that.

That is everyday in Chicago.

• Haha 1

Davidc    98

Wife went in to pick up her Ruger AR-556 this afternoon. It'll be interesting to check the unit out. 

• Winner 1
  • Cool 1

Davidc    98

Got er home. I like the sites and compact nature of it. Close quarters it would work nicely. Seems like about half the weight of the bushmaster which has a bi-pod on it. 

Edited by Davidc
additional thought

nodle    622
2 minutes ago, Davidc said:

Got er home. I like the sites and compact nature of it. Close quarters it would work nicely. 

Morale_Patched_-_7.18.2016-1-15.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

nodle    622
On 7/14/2017 at 9:18 PM, Davidc said:

Gotta clean er thoroughly and give it a go. 

Ran any rounds though this yet?

I cleaned one of my pistols last night from when me @jmanz went shooting. Gonna do another tonight. It's kinda fun actually.