nodle

Lets discuss Barbecuers

So I am in the market for a new Barbecue. My little one while it is great for about two people is starting to become to small for living over here. So I am out of touch on everything. I see the trend now is the Traegers, which are a pellet stove of sorts. I was also looking at a Oklahoma Joes as well, which seem to be a smoker? I guess neither are these are gas powered. Any experience with either?

205708560-1920-8.jpg

home_highland.png

I like the Oklahoma Joes looks and the ruggedness of it, but it seems like a lot of work to get the fire going. The Treager is like a push button operation.

The wood pellet outfits like you posted above are great for chicken, pork loin, brisket......stuff like that when you have time to cook fairly slow. They aren't exactly ideal for the quick stuff like hotdogs, burgers and steaks. My in laws have a Traeger and the food tastes amazing off of them. Steep price for those buggers though. I don't personally know anyone who has the Oklahoma Joe's. I think they have a pretty good reputation. It almost seems like I heard they were bought out recently by someone though?

Last year I picked up a new Charbroil gas grill from Lowe's. It was a couple hundred bucks. Nothing fancy, does the job. I would be lying though if I didn't envision a Traeger someday. Or a smoker of some sort for ribs and brisket.

Ya I am looking at the Traegers all morning watching videos on how they work etc. By far the easiest solution for a smoker/cooker. But them dam prices on them! The pellets don't seem bad and a bag someone said on a video will last 10-15 hours. I agree with you for a fast cooking time. But it seems like my gas grills always get so greasy, I wonder if the smoke would keep it more dry and not be so greasy all the time? My little boy is a Charbroil also and I have enjoyed it, it's just time to move up.

6 minutes ago, nodle said:

Ya I am looking at the Traegers all morning watching videos on how they work etc. By far the easiest solution for a smoker/cooker. But them dam prices on them! The pellets don't seem bad and a bag someone said on a video will last 10-15 hours. I agree with you for a fast cooking time. But it seems like my gas grills always get so greasy, I wonder if the smoke would keep it more dry and not be so greasy all the time? My little boy is a Charbroil also and I have enjoyed it, it's just time to move up.

I don't believe grease is a problem on the Traegers. My father in law also puts some foil down below to collect some of the run off, especially from the chicken to keep it clean. I've never had such good chicken from anywhere before. That alone makes me want to buy one.

This guy does a good run down on how it works etc. I would like to get one with a stack though. They are the PRO models I believe. I see some even have built in thermal probes to sense your meat temps. Insane.

This topic has more replies, but you'll need to be signed in to view them.