Fluxoid
nodle

Apple and Macs

nodle    679

I know @C Pav thought I was joking the other day when he was talking about getting a new computer and I recommended a Macbook Pro. My computing taste have really changed lately. Maybe I am just getting old, but I'm not into tweaking etc. anymore. I just like something stable and simple. Not really crazy where Windows is going with their OS anyways. Plus it seems like Windows 10 is just trying to be a Mac anyways. But I am serious if I was to go with something I would look into one. I was thinking just a 13" with the 256ssd. Seems to be the best price point.

ndboarder    210

They have nice hardware, and it can run Windows. That said, from my experimenting days and owning one, parallels isn't ideal. Bootcamp works, but then you have to split your drive between the two - one or the other likely may not be big enough. The OS X portion that I ever used I could never get completely used to or comfortable with - plus other than to play around with OS X it was only good for a bit of web browsing or checking email.

IMO there is plenty of equally as nice hardware on the market today and you'd be better off dual booting Windows and Linux than bothering with OS X

nodle    679

Well it may not be a Macbook Pro, but my Wife's brother gave me his 21.5" Imac. It will allow me to get use to a Mac. That is what I am typing on at the moment. So far I am liking it though.

nodle    679

Loving this thing so much. It's amazing for such and old machine. I see why photographers use them the color is so sharp and so accurate. This isn't even a 5k model. I can't even imagine. I think this will be replacing my main computer on my desk soon. Also the built in speakers are amazing!

nodle    679

I had a call in on my imac the other day. Had no idea it did this. I knew I could receive and send texts on here, but I was just sitting here and I heard my phone ring at the other end of the house then I had a slide out that showed whose calling. I clicked accept and said "Hello?" sure enough you can just answer your phone and talk like normal. It was really cool. Also got time machine setup which is amazing. I don't get why Windows can't have something so simple? It would save people so much headache. My drobo works flawless with it and in fact data transfers are WAY faster than doing it over my PC. I have no idea why? I basically never touch my PC anymore. Besides gaming I wouldn't have a need for it any longer.

nodle    679

I installed Parallels today. Loaded Windows 7 Pro on it. It's really cool how you can run Windows on a Mac. It's different than a normal VM machine where it's sand boxed. You can have different modes where it blends or stay separated. Kinda hard to explain. I was able to load a few programs that the mac doesn't have and I can open the files on my Mac and use them flawlessly. Nifty program.

http://www.parallels.com/

ndboarder    210

Just give up on it already.  Bootcamp your Mac OS crap drive down to as low as possible, put Windows on the other partition, set it to boot to windows and forget about it

nodle    679
1 hour ago, ndboarder said:

Just give up on it already.  Bootcamp your Mac OS crap drive down to as low as possible, put Windows on the other partition, set it to boot to windows and forget about it

To me this is better than Bootcamp. Since I can run everything and use files from my Mac straight into Windows. It's like both systems are embedded together. Not quite like a standard VM image.

nodle    679

Since I quit playing WoW about a month or so ago, I haven't even turned my PC on anymore. Considering just giving it to my parents to use. Just don't have a need for it anymore besides gaming (never thought I would say that).

nodle    679

IBM employees prefer Macs, which is actually saving IBM about $543 per computer.

Last year, IBM made a bold decision. The company let its employees choose between a Windows PC or a Mac for their own work machines. IBM staffers prefer Macs, so the company bought up 30,000 of them. This year, IBM has 90,000 Macs in use. But Macs are expensive, as we all know, so IBM must be spending a fortune on making the switch…right? Apparently not.

ndboarder    210

The new MacBook pro?  With the worthless touch bar - I mean really WTF, why would you want some touch area off the screen that changes and you have to look down to see what your options are?  A full touch screen would be far better - plus you could still have an Esc key

Secondly - Mac OS - HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nodle    679

For those of you using an Iphone/Mac you should really check out Airmail. I replaced my Iphone email client with it, and also run it on my Mac. I think it is worth the cost.

nodle    679

Kinda thinking about taking apart my iMAC and throwing in a new SSD drive. Been watching some Youtube videos on how to do it today. I don't know why it scares me? I use to do this stuff on a daily basis. I guess I am just loosing my touch and confidence.

ndboarder    210

Well like pretty much every AOI or Laptop they aren't made to be easily user upgraded.  At least most laptops allow fairly simple access to RAM and drives, but not many AIO's allow for much of any update, and most likely opening it would void warranty, though you are likely out of warrantee anyway.