Dewalt tools

nodle

So me and my Dad have been updating our new garage. We have added two work benches with shelves, including a wall of pegboard and we have also added 5 more large shelves to the wall for oil etc. I have a cheap old 14v cordless drill but my dad brought over some tools while we are working. One of them was this Dewalt 20v cordless impact driver drill. Let me tell you first off it's small but it has the perfect head size to it. Tons of power it it start to hammer at the end. Has 3 bright L.E.D.s also. It makes my old drill look like a pile of crap. Thinking about picking up a combo kit that comes with this two batteries and a drill also. Anyone been around one before?

M6JKTzE.jpg

The entire kit.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad has a lot of Makita tools also. It has been fun working with him we worked for about 3 days on it. I'm not that good with the whole craftsman thing but my Dad use to do it for a living so he knows what He's doing. It has been real fun out there working with Him. He has his table saw and chop saw over here also.

I have the 18V Dewalt impact driver.  Great for running screws and such if that's primarily what you will use it for.  Not a 100% replacement for an actual drill or hammer drill though.  The 20v lithium ion battery tools did exist when I bought my Dewalt set, but I went with the 18V NiCad set instead.  I don't know if that's the right choice or not, but I had read that the lithium did last longer in tools like the circular saw, but that the NiCad would last longer in other tools and that NiCad would stand up to cold temps better.   There's a kit coming soon from Dewalt to use the 20V lithium batters in the 18V tools  (the tools are the same, just the area for the battery differs)

Quick aside on the whole circular saw thing.  IF you buy cordless tools or sets, I would skip a cordless circular saw.  They work, but they drain batteries incredibly fast.  I skipped this tool from Dewalt because a previous cordless set I had would take both batteries to just barely cut through an 8 foot length of plywood.  If you need a circular saw, just get a corded one....

Quick aside on the whole circular saw thing.  IF you buy cordless tools or sets, I would skip a cordless circular saw.  They work, but they drain batteries incredibly fast.  I skipped this tool from Dewalt because a previous cordless set I had would take both batteries to just barely cut through an 8 foot length of plywood.  If you need a circular saw, just get a corded one....

I would agree. It's got to take a lot of power going through a 2x4 or anything for that matter. Defiantly a corded one. My Dad still uses his Skillsaw from the 70s. We went looking for a new blade for it the other day and his chop saw. Picked up these nice Diablo blades. http://www.diablotools.com/

Here is the adapter set that is coming for 18V dewalt tools if there's anyone here interested (supposed to be available this month sometime)

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-batteries-dca2203c.aspx

I know my Dad is looking forward to it being available and I'll likely pick one up as well for use in my drill and impact driver as pictured in my previous post.  The drills are the tools most likely to last a little longer on the lithium ion.  Not sure it would give much more kick or battery life to the reciprocating saw or some of the other tools I've added to my collection outside of that initial set (jig saw, etc)

I've also heard some stores may be offering a deal where you can buy a couple bare 18V tools (no batteries included with them) and then you get the adapter set (includes adapter, 2 x 20V batteries and a charger) for free.  So if there's a couple 18V Dewalts you want to add to a collection that could be a good route as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a early birthday gift from my parents this morning. A new set. Also went with the "XR" series which is their new "brushless" motor series. They are starting to phase out the non XR stuff. Basically more torque and more power. They are a little more but your getting the latest stuff. I was surprised by how fast the batteries charge to. They are deluxe though. I used them all day today. The kit I got.

Link

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I must say having the right tool for the job makes all the difference in the world. For example I installed a new mailbox the other day. I needed to cut the boards where it sat on. I grabbed my cordless Dewalt skill saw and walked out there and cut all the boards needed without any cords way out there. My alternative would had been to use a hand saw over and over. This thing did the job within 5 minutes. I really like the Dewalt stuff.

I just think that batteries have come along way and are able to power a lot more. Maybe the older ones were bad, but my Dewalt skillsaw cuts though 2x4's like butter. Mind you I haven't cut tons and tons at a time but I can cut what I need and not even think about the battery. I was considering the chainsaw for taking out in the woods for some light firewood cutting.

They've come a ways, but still - he has the biggest battery they make for it to do his 100 cuts of kind of sort of 6x6 lumber.  Depending on what you cut or run into the number could be drastically different, and the battery performance will decrease over time.

His point of not having to worry about a motor in comparison to gas powered is partially valid.  You don't really have to worry about it, but if the motor on your cordless tools goes out you basically just have to buy a new one if it isn't under warranty (I've had this happen once).  On a gas one there's a chance of repair, though whether it's feasible or not is tough.

For light cutting it could be great and may last quite a while before needing a new battery or to be completely replaced.  If your out cutting and your battery dies though, time to go home and wait for a charge.  For my money though, I'd still buy a gas powered chainsaw.  It will run when I need and if I do a lot of cutting I can just fill up the gas tank and keep on cutting.  I would go to a Stihl dealer and for light cutting maybe take something from the "home owner" line of saws, but most likely I'd just pick up something more heavy duty so I knew it could handle the little work I had plan and any big project that might come up someday  (I've learned my lesson about buying the "good enough" tool for one project that later isn't good enough and then having to buy another better one too)

• 3 weeks later...
I am not even going to bother anymore. Bought some hacksaw blades from another store that were complete junk. Returned them and picked up some Dewalt ones. Yes they were almost double the price, but so much nicer. Just go with quality out the door.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...