Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Dropcam

These things are getting popular and are pretty neat. no need for a DVR. It uploads straight to the cloud. A theif steals the camera itself? No problem, the image and sound was already uploaded. Plus the audio and video quality is great!

https://www.dropcam.com/

[uSER=21]@C Pav[/uSER] I think you should really check into this. This seems to be what you have been looking for. You don't have to pay for live video feed. Unless you want to turn it into a DVR then you would. Both you and your wife could put the app on your phone or log into a computer from any location. From what I have read they are great camera, no need to configure either.

The advantage of this is flexible wireless storage. Other than that, I'm sure it needs a power source (cabling) and is not as reliable since anything wireless could have interference or the connection to drop out. I'm wondering if they have local storage option so in case the internet lost connectivity, it would still record, and then send to the cloud once connection is back up?

The advantage of this is flexible wireless storage. Other than that, I'm sure it needs a power source (cabling) and is not as reliable since anything wireless could have interference or the connection to drop out. I'm wondering if they have local storage option so in case the internet lost connectivity, it would still record, and then send to the cloud once connection is back up?

They make cameras like this, but the odds of the power going out or your internet going out while something happens, well that would be quite bad luck. Besides even if it did when it would come back up and it would just leave off. They make local to cloud based ones, but this is just taking the hassle out the complexity and having to buy your own DVR. It's marketed to set it and forget it people.

I am thinking about picking up a pro version one of these to mount in a window to watch the weather/doors outside.

So I thought I would write some about this some. Still haven't had much time but I will add more info as I get time. First off there are two versions, standard and pro. I went with pro, it's about $50 more than standard but has zoom HD etc. Packaging is nice. Much like an Iphone. You basically get the camera itself, a wall mount base, usb cable and usb to ac adapter. Setup is easy also, either plug it into a usb port which will re-direct you to a website link or use your Andriod/Iphone. Basically just need to create an account then log in and connect to your home wireless. Thats it, all done. I really love the wide angle field of view, takes alot into the picture. Video quality is very nice to. Has night vision built in which comes on automatically. Included is a 15 day trial on their cloud based backup. You basically have 7 days of saving. It has control for motion or sound and makes a make on a strip where you can then click on it and go back there to view what was happening. Also has two way audio settings. You can listen or speak to someone though it. There are alot more controls also such as setting up alerts to push to your mobile device on power outage or motion or sound. The mobile app works great as well. You can also send a link to your friends or family or even public stream. Overall this is a great little camera. The only downside is no motion control meaning that you can't rotate or move it remotely. Not really to big of a deal breaker though. I also think their pricing for cloud based back up is not really bad at $99 for a year. If not you can still use it as a streaming device. I have some plans for this device in mind. Not really any good mounts out there for it yet but I am considering setting up a nice window mount so I can suction cup it in my front window point it at the front door and watch the front door and the weather outside. May post this project when I get to it. Remember even if someone broke into your house and tried to shut off your camera or break it or steal it, it's to late the audio and video has already been uploaded to the cloud. So it would work really great as a cheap security system. Yes I am talking to you [uSER=21]@C Pav[/uSER] . I know you wanted something like this. Anyways more to come later.