Sign in to follow this  
nodle

The "Redskins" team name

How does everyone feel about this. Do you find the name "degrading"? Or do you side with tradition?

I really don't care. First, the name doesn't offend me, so I don't care. Second, I'm not a fan of the Redskins, so I don't care.

I also didn't care about UND being the Sioux. I more so understand the Redskin, as it might be more of a derogatory term for some. I don't really know, but the Native Americans may see it along the lines of things like n****r, r****d, or m****t. If so, I suppose it should change.

I personally don't see a problem. Just like [uSER=6]@ndboarder[/uSER] said about the Sioux. To me it's something to be proud off and not derogatory. You want a team with a proud name.

Yes, I probably should care. My prior post I was mostly trying to convey that Redskin IS a derogatory term, so I can see where they would want it changed. I just was never sure what was wrong the "Sioux" name since as far as I know it was not a derogatory term. To me the Sioux compared to Redskins would be like the Vikings compared to if their name was the White Trash Barbarians or something. My knowledge on the subject is admittedly very low since I really didn't care about that either.

They should change the Redskins name. No one would let a team keep a name like those I *'ed out earlier.

Now, when some animal rights activists start wanting to change teams like the Eagles we may have then taken political correctness too far.

Now, when some animal rights activists start wanting to change teams like the Eagles we may have then taken political correctness too far.

lol this made me laugh!

Then I wonder how they don't get in trouble with the high school mascot here with the name "midgets". Doesn't that insult little people?

Then I wonder how they don't get in trouble with the high school mascot here with the name "midgets". Doesn't that insult little people?

Yes it does. Hence when I brought that word up earlier I put the *'s in it. They don't get in trouble because it hasn't been brought to the attention of someone who cares, and it is a high school team that no one knows about. Have them get to a state championship or something that garners national attention and see how long that lasts.

U.S. Patent Office cancels "Redskins" trademark

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled six federal trademark registrations for the name of the Washington Redskins, ruling that the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” and thus cannot be trademarked under federal law that prohibits the protection of offensive or disparaging language.