Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Extend your XP life

So ya may want to use at your own risk, and of course Microsoft don't want you to use it, but here it is.

The registry addition tricks Microsoft into thinking your PC is running the Point Of Sale "Embedded" version of Windows, which will continue to have updates until 2019. The change only works on 32-bit systems, not 64-bit. Microsoft warns this is a bad idea and suggests, naturally, you replace the operating system with Windows 7 or higher. If you make this change to an XP machine, you do this at your own risk. To make the change:

1. Make sure your computer is properly backed up in case anything goes wrong. Then, open Notepad to create a new text document.
  2. Paste in the following text:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] "Installed"=dword:00000001

• Save the text file, but change its extension from .txt. to .reg.

• Double-click your newly-created .reg file to make the tweak.

It's clever that someone realized POSReady 2009 OS was basically XP. It's a pretty stripped down version though, so while you'd get some updates there could be many services or pieces of XP to which it won't apply and fixes wouldn't come.

Either way, if a PC is still running XP I'm pretty sure it's long over due for an upgrade.

EDIT: I guess if you do have XP, at least it gets you some form of updates. The one thing I wonder, is how well this "tricks" the OS into believing it is POSReady2009. Depending how much is tied to that registry key it could potentially disable other features of the XP operating system.

It's clever that someone realized POSReady 2009 OS was basically XP. It's a pretty stripped down version though, so while you'd get some updates there could be many services or pieces of XP to which it won't apply and fixes wouldn't come.

Either way, if a PC is still running XP I'm pretty sure it's long over due for an upgrade.

Just worked on a Win 95 machine about 2 weeks ago. No lie.

Just worked on a Win 95 machine about 2 weeks ago. No lie.

Editted my first post. But I definitely believe you worked on a 95 machine recently. I'm sure people are still scraping by on old hardware, I just don't really get why. Sure if it works for them it works, but for a couple hundred dollars someone on that old of a machine could have a more power PC or little laptop that was much more capable

I see XP is still going strong.

Net Applications gave XP a 16.9 percent share for the month of March, a hefty drop from the 19.1 percent recorded in February. Though XP's grip on the market continues to loosen, it remains the No. 2 most-used operating system based on Net Application's Web stats, beating Windows 8 and 8.1 and their collective share of 14 percent. Windows 8.1 took the third spot with a 10.5 percent share, leaving Windows 8 in fifth place with just 3.5 percent.