Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Trains and crossings

The town I live in has a train that runs directly though it. There are only 3 places to cross to get to the other side of the town. 2 has train tracks to cross the other goes under a bridge. So basically if you have a train that goes though the town you only have one way to get to the other side of town. If we get alot of rain this way will flood and if there is a train going though town you are basically screwed. So I go to get off work yesterday and I noticed the turn lane for the bridge crossing is back up two block, yes two blocks for a single turn lane, so I look down and see no trains coming so I decide to go down to a crossing. All looks good. As I turn the corner the bars drop and the lights come on. Ten seconds earlier and I would had made it. So I am stuck sitting there. A train starts to come and I look down the line and cannot see the end of it. *sigh. Then it just decides to stop in the middle and comes to a complete stop. I can't do anything because of the line of traffic behind me so I am stuck just waiting it out in the nice hot sun. Finally it starts to move again. I waited there 15 minutes just to cross town so I could go home. Why do you have to run a train across town at 5 when everyone is getting off work? Why can't you do it earlier or later?

Oh man we have the same thing here. My favorite is when it comes to a complete stop and then goes backwards. Rage!

I think most towns have this to a degree, given the history of the railroad and the way in which most American towns sprung up around them.

I'm not sure the RR will schedule around towns and peak traffic times. Even if they did it would be scheduled around large cities. You may just have to move, as I doubt the RR is moving anytime soon

Why do you have to run a train across town at 5 when everyone is getting off work? Why can't you do it earlier or later?

The train has to be somewhere at 5. Seems like you got the short end.

Years ago, I was late dropping my kids off at day care if I didn't make it over the tracks on time.