Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Digital Vs. Boxed

So I think we have discussed this a little bit here already. But what do you plan to buy in the future? I know not all games are digital, and then there are some that are not boxed. Here is my dilemma. I want a game (yes I am an impatient person). But I don't want to drive all the way up north to pick up the game from Walmart. If you knew our traffic around here you would understand. I could do it but it would take my entire lunch hour. Or I could go home and digitally download it for the exact price, but not have to go anywhere and not have to pay tax. So I would actually be saving a couple of dollars. But then I have to wait to play it while it downloads. So what would you do and what are you planning to do in the future for your collections?

Just wait until broadband data is capped, those digital downloads will be costly. But I think game companies would cut a deal with the providers to allow free game downloads, if capping happens.

Myself, I would prefer digital downloads, but it would help with faster internet speeds. Though it would feel different than buying a hard copy, almost like you are not getting your full money's worth if the price is the same.

Too impatient to wait for a game to download? Come on now. Myself I prefer the physical copy. Call me old fashioned.

I'm mostly trying to stick to digital. The one argument you didn't mention for physical is an ability to resell the game.

I guess I have a game collection and no plan to sell anything soon, so I don't really care about that. Digital is just convenient. I can hit download and start playing it once ready (more on this below). I can switch between games without having to change discs. I don't have to worry about discs scratching or failing to read. When the rumored external drive support shows up on Xbox One, I can just put games on that and take them with me to a friends if I want. Mostly I still hold hope that the loaning of my owned games digitally still comes back despite the public out cry when announced last year. They can never do that for disc based now, but hopefully they bring back some option for digital content owners.

Big games may take an hour or two to download, but if its something I just can't wait to play I would wait to purchase once available the day of release (late night / early morning) get some sleep and play the next day, or kick off the install before I head for work, or just buy it from the site and let it download while I'm away.

I hear what you are saying [uSER=6]@ndboarder[/uSER] . It is nice to have the convince just to have them there with nothing to scratch etc. The only thing that I wish they would do is that digital games should always be cheaper than a physical copy. This just makes sense because there are no production costs. At least $5 cheaper would be perfect. I did notice that if you select the option under the PS4 for this you can order from anywhere and as long as your PS4 is in standby it will automatically start to download the game so when you get home it would be ready. This is a great feature and I think I will start to do this.

Instructions

Yeah, the remote queueing is nice.

Cheaper would be awesome, was one of the things they originally touted as possible if the Xbox One original plan had remained to push more toward Steam like deals.

Whether that had happened or not, I don't know how much cheaper digital could be. $5 isn't asking for much off and seems reasonable. While I have absolutely no clue what a games costs to have produced on physical media, I can't imagine that is a very big cost in the terms of the game. For the bulk number of discs, ink and plastic cases ordered I doubt it's very much at all. If it were the dawn of gaming and no one already had equipment in place to do it that would be another story.

In the end, it's the marketing $$ and mostly the development $$ that has to be made up, which goes back to the conversation of how much more effort it is to make games that meet the expectations of today's gamers - graphically, world sizes, etc, - which is what leads to all the day one patching type stuff

Well decided to try out a digital purchase last night. First one was Rayman Legends. Added it to my cart and it was easy. Download came down fast and it was simple and easy. I see why people are going this way. I also used the standby feature so in the future and i can order from anywhere and it will always be ready for me when I get home.