Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced

Dem prices... ouch!

nzozoy.png

Specs:

- 12" screen with 2160 x 1440 resolution

- 9.1mm thickness (thinnest product with Core inside)

- 800g weight

- New 150 degree "Canvas" kickstand position

- MicroSD slot

- USB 3.0 port

- HD video out port

- Headphone Jack

- New type cover with increased stability (sold seperately)

Pen stuff

- No Wacom digitizer, in favour of N-Trig

- 256 levels of pressure sensitivity

- Lowest latency screen in industry

- New pen functionality (click while device is off to go straight to OneNote)

- Photoshop CC will be optimized for Surface in the future

Surface Pro 3 models:

i3/4GB RAM/64GB - $799.99

i5/4GB RAM/128GB - $999.99

i5/8GB RAM/256GB - $1299.99

i7/8GB RAM/256GB - $1549.99

i7/8GB RAM/512GB - $1949.99

Accessories

New Type Cover - $129.99

Additional Surface Pen - $49.99

Additional 36W power supply - $79.99

Additional pen loop - $4.99

Docking Station for Pro 3 - $199.99

Ethernet adapter - $39.99

DSC_1303.jpg

DSC_1394_verge_super_wide.jpg

I know they are built well, but wish they would include the pen and type cover at those prices, then I would think of getting them. But these are probably more business-line centered, so they can afford them if wanted.

The new kickstand is a big improvement. Some of the functionality tied to the pen is cool too. Not sure how much I personally would click the pen to turn it on just to write down a note, but its cool that it will just turn on the screen directly to OneNote so you can quickly jot something down. I'm not entirely sure if it includes a pen or not. The keyboard directly says it's sold separately and the pen pricing says for additional pens, so perhaps at least the pen is included.

As far as pricing, you need to compare it more to ulta books than to tablets.

Including the type cover and pen would be nice, but keep in mind this is a full Intel computer. It isn't just another tablet with an ARM processor, low memory,etc. At the low end of the price point you have a fully capable computer at the higher end you have a pretty big work horse of a machine. I'd love it if they were cheaper or included every accessory I wanted as well, but businesses can't succeed selling products at a loss either

I just held and played a bit with the $999 version at work today. I truly am not a huge fan of the Surface (the RT versions at least). Yes they are a great tablet, but the kickstand to me has just never been comfortable on the lap. I am a bigger fan of things like the Dell Venue 11 which is a great tablet, but has a hard keyboard dock that makes it a clamshell laptop design.

I didn't get much time, but two things stood out:

1) Damn this thing is thin and light for being a full blown PC in tablet form. It is thinner than the Surface 2 and incredibly light

2) The kickstand is much stiffer than I anticipated. The hinge used to allow stopping at any position up to 150 degrees really holds its own. When you first open it the 15 degrees or so there isn't a lot of tension, but from there on it is nice and stiff and gives a feeling it won't start just slipping or wear out quickly.

The pen with it was nice as well. As much as I would've liked to play around with the note taking and such, I didn't get a chance to do much more than hold it and mess with the kickstand. I guess I did look at the power adapter, the new connector is an improvement. The old one was fine, but the new one is even easier to plug into the device.

But what are you comparing the price to? Yeah, it's a tablet and it costs more than other standard tablets. BUT it is a full PC that can run any windows application you have on your desktop/laptop/ultrabook.

$799 is the lower end, which sure is more than some of the pure tablets of a similar size, but it can do more. It may not replace a power house desktop or laptop, but it's a nice optional price. Move up from there and the prices aren't that out of line with a laptop or such of similar capability, and it is much thinner and lighter and getting that kind of spec into that size/weight/battery life is where some cost comes.

I'm thinking about the $1299 model would be the sweet spot of having plenty of processor/RAM/etc for doing anything a tablet could do and covering 99% of what I would do on a full PC. I could probably get away with the $799 since I could remote to a desktop to do development work or run things like Photoshop, but I'd rather just have it local on the device.

It won't be for everyone, but you at least have to compare the price point to something if you want to comment on it. Yes it looks like a tablet and offers a lot of nice tablet functionality. It is however meant to compete with laptops and offer the conveniences of a light weight tablet at the same time.

I'm not saying it's cheap by the way, yeah it costs a pretty penny. I'm saying if you look at one, hold it and consider what capabilities it has for that size, the pricing should be pretty understandable.

I think the Surface 3 looks to be a solid device and can't go wrong. If I was in the market for needing something, this would win over any Apple products for sure. If they threw in the type cover, I'd be sold (not that it's a make or break deal, but it does add $130 to the cost). What I would want is at least 128GB space, but more importantly, 8GB RAM. I'm starting to feel 4GB RAM lagging sometimes on me these days.

*Edit: I don't like how manufactures do their configurations, they always beef everything up in order to get the 8GB RAM, which means a much higher price point. I wish I had the option of just upgrading that separately.

I think the Surface 3 looks to be a solid device and can't go wrong. If I was in the market for needing something, this would win over any Apple products for sure. If they threw in the type cover, I'd be sold (not that it's a make or break deal, but it does add $130 to the cost). What I would want is at least 128GB space, but more importantly, 8GB RAM. I'm starting to feel 4GB RAM lagging sometimes on me these days.

*Edit: I don't like how manufactures do their configurations, they always beef everything up in order to get the 8GB RAM, which means a much higher price point. I wish I had the option of just upgrading that separately.

ybdninG.jpg

That's right, I always go for the ultimate experience when I compute. I will suck each processing byte out of the cpu's and RAM's soul.

Best Buy has them on display now. Played with one there a bit over the weekend as well. The nice thing there was they had the new type covers to try with it. The additional magnet to allow for some angle on the keyboard when typing is nice. The crappy thing at BB (or probably any store) is they had their security junk stuck to it which doubled the weight of the device when picking it up.

As posted in recent purchases, I ended up picking one of these up last weekend. My main gripe with the Surface devices, as noted previously, has been with the kickstand. It was previously great when set on a flat surface like a table or desk, but:

On the lap - the device was a little too narrow for me and the corners of the kickstand would dig into my legs after a while unless I was closing my legs together more than is comfortable.

Laying down or reclining - when reclining you couldn't recline much or it would just fall back at you since it would end up leaned toward you, laying down had similar issues

The new kickstand along with device size mostly solves these problems, though I never a Surface 2 with the two position stand which may have solved the problems related to laying down or reclining.

The Surface Pro 3 is a little less than 1" wider than the Surface RT when using the kickstand, so it is more comfortable to use as a laptop. The range of angles the new kickstand can do (anywhere from 22 to 150 degrees I) means if you recline or lay down you can set it to an angle that is perfect for your position. It's actually more flexible than most laptops in this regard. The hinge on it requires more force than you would expect to move, which is good, as it means the stand isn't just moving around on it's own. It does not feel cheap or like it will loosen dramatically over time.

Beyond that the new type keyboard is well done. The trackpad on it is as bearable as a trackpad can be. The keys are responsive. Being able to put it at a bit of an angle makes it more comfortable to use than previous type covers for previous Surface devices. While it does only magnetically attach to the screen to get the angle, it is a solid connection and does not fall out of position during any normal use that I've had.

It wasn't long ago I purchased a Dell Venue 11 tablet with the keyboard dock that makes it a clamshell like laptop. It's still a great little machine to use as a tablet or laptop, but it is a baytrail processor and just wasn't quite up to running something like Visual Studio. It also is not 64-bit so Hyper-V wasn't an option, which is needed for development in some of my cases. I believe Dell has an updated line coming that would meet my needs as well, but given the improvements in usability and the light weight device that can be both a tablet or my full PC when needed, I decided to give the Surface Pro 3 a shot.

The screen is also very nice. The resolution of 2160 x 1440 is a little odd, but given the aspect ration of the device (3:2 - legal pad like) isn't surprising. Either way, a lot of real estate out of a 12" screen at that resolution and movies look great.

lol this did make me chuckle.

MS Surface loses on election night as CNN commentators use it as iPad kickstand

Poor Microsoft. The company just can't catch a break when it comes to its live-on-air, TV promotional campaigns for the Surface. First there was the widely-mocked giant Surfaces that showed up in a redesigned Fox News newsroom. Then we all had to hear NFL sportscasters describing the Surfaces being used on the field in cringeworthy fashion as "iPad-like tools." But perhaps the worst slight came last night when CNN commentators discussing the 2014 US mid-term elections were caught using their Surfaces as stands for completely different tablets (probably iPads). After all these marketing mishaps, maybe Microsoft should consider bringing back its Surface break dancers.

B1p8qg4IAAE003d.jpg

I use mine daily. Being just a bit wider than the earlier ones makes it more comfortable on the lap when using the kickstand. Plus the infinite kickstand, as they call it, means I can always get it at just the right angle, whether sitting or laying down.