Sign in to follow this  
ndboarder

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Don't you get an incredible price break on the games anyways?

Um, mostly no. On games created and published by Microsoft, yes, I get a discount that is decent. Most games are not created or published by MS, so the majority of games I get are not at a discount.

The few I can get discounts on are the MS made series of Forza, Halo, Gears of War, and such. For Xbox One that also included Ryse and Dead Rising 3. Things like Call of Duty, Titanfall, Madden, and the majority of games, I pay the same price as everyone else.

I have always enjoyed the Wolfenstein series. Heard not so good tings about this but mostly the launch. Sounds like the game is broken and needs a day 1 and needs a 7.6 GB patch before you can even play.

I have always enjoyed the Wolfenstein series. Heard not so good tings about this but mostly the launch. Sounds like the game is broken and needs a day 1 and needs a 7.6 GB patch before you can even play.

This is bull and shouldn't even be allowed. If you can't finish a game on time don't release it. I am not your Beta tester.

This is bull and shouldn't even be allowed. If you can't finish a game on time don't release it. I am not your Beta tester.

I mostly agree with you on this. Day 1 patches are pretty out of control The internet has just given dev's the ability to ship early and catch up between that time and when you get the game. The one plus to this is that when a big issue does show up they can fix it. Back in the day you'd just have a messed up game and have to start over.

I would say you aren't being a beta tester though. yeah, big day 1 patch, but you aren't going to get to play it without that. They had to start printing discs with something on it, so they put some fairly stable build on a disc and started production. Then they continued and worked through fit & finish bugs. Note I'm saying "they" here, but really just talking about ever game developer out there whether they are writing for PC, consoles or mobile devices. Everything these days ships to the end user with testing done, but with the expectation that they'll be releasing fixes.

I don't remember patching my nes,snes, or ps1 and ps2 games back in the day, and guess what they still played fine. In fact some of the glitches were the best part.

I don't remember patching my nes,snes, or ps1 and ps2 games back in the day, and guess what they still played fine. In fact some of the glitches were the best part.

Yeah, but the internet didn't exist back then. Well, yeah it was there for the latter ones, but not to the extent or speeds that are mostly available that they are counting on to allow the patching to occur.

People seem to want more and more games, but there are limited resources to provide them. Yeah, they must've tested the shit out of games for the NES, SNES, Genesis, etc, BUT those games were a lot smaller, the logic within them not nearly as complex, and they were not releasing a new game in a series every other year (even if they were they were again much smaller simpler games to complete over 2 years)

Reviews on this aren't as bad as I figured they would be. I also read that a ways in there is a spot where you can enter a "nightmare" if you know where to look, which plays the first level from the original Wolfenstein.

Not bagging on the game or any other games but with the large number of games and high price anything scoring under a 80 is passable until it can be picked up cheaply. I know reviews are just opinions but when the average from all reviewers are low then it's a good bet to say it's not worth full price.

In fact anything under an 85 could be passed until it's cheap. I do make exceptions if it's a series I love beyond any other but even then I don't jump on day one purchases much anymore.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/wolfenstein-the-new-order

If you look at the reviews that add up to the current average (79), one reviewer has it at 60, the rest are 80+, some better than others. Without the one low review it would be around 83 or 84. They are after all just opinions, so the one low one is probably just someone that doesn't like this type of game, or being from Europe possibly could be someone sensitive to the nature or unhappy about some censoring done over there.

There's definitely plenty out there to play, but if you just follow reviews you'd miss a lot of games. I see Max: TCOB has a fairly low review, which I found pretty surprising. Without reading any of the reviews that give it that score, I can only imagine people who were unable to solve some puzzles got made and rated it low or something, because it was a GREAT game. You can let me know if you agree after it goes free next month.

I picked this up late last week when the digital was on sale for ~$40. I think I'm nearly to the end. It's actually a pretty good game. As much as I do play multiplayer these days, its nice to see a FPS that still just a good single player campaign. Hopefully I can finish up the story line tonight, then start replaying some of the chapters on a lower difficulty for a bit of achievement clean up.