Sign in to follow this  
ryanator

Carport Project

I will be building a carport for my parents. I'm using Sketchup to design it and show a 3D representation. Since my parents lot has no allowance by code for anything decent on the side, we are asking the city for a variance exemption. They want a sheet filled out with description, I decided to do a 3D design.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105641685435380534515/albums/6014094323334017793

carPortDimensions.jpg

diaganol_withCar.jpg

backside.jpg

good luck with this. I would like to do something similar. We have a single stall garage it would be nice to have something to park under. There is already an extra lane in the drive way.

Interested in your progress.

That's pretty sweet. Was Sketchup hard to use? I don't see why the city would complain about something like that. Shouldn't be to bad to build either. Even that little shelter would help tons in winter.

In my experience sketch up is not hard to use. Maybe takes some time to master it though and actually get things to look right. From the pics, it seems [uSER=19]@ryanator[/uSER] is pretty proficient with it.

Looks good. Off topic, but you have lots of wood working projects, do you do any turning?

I haven't done turning, would be nice to customize certain things though.

That's pretty sweet. Was Sketchup hard to use? I don't see why the city would complain about something like that. Shouldn't be to bad to build either. Even that little shelter would help tons in winter.

What's nice about sketchup is that it's much more user friendly to get into and use. Professionals have used it to make their projects and can just be as good as the more complex programs. The free version can do professional results, but the Pro version would give you a little more edge and things to collaborate, convert, and finalize your project for commercial use.

The reason about the city building code is that you can't have a attached structure 6 feet from the property line. An unattached structure can be 3 feet from the line but also more away from the house due to fire code. We are also getting signatures from some close neighbors just to aid the process.

Ya I guess it's the same when putting a fence in. I think it has to be a certain amount of feet away from the property line.

Ya I guess it's the same when putting a fence in. I think it has to be a certain amount of feet away from the property line.

All those stupid rules and codes depend where you live. I know there here, the fence can technically be directly on the line, or at least the edge of the post can. People recommend you leave them a ways off so you can trim the grass along it without being on a neighbors property and such though. It's a pain. We moved part of our fence last year from being about 4 feet off the line to being right on it as the back yard neighbors were putting up fences so portions of our yard were completely unreachable... UGH. Sorry, but you brought up a nightmare again.

[uSER=19]@ryanator[/uSER], Just asked about the turning as my dad, who does some wood working as a hobby, recently started on turning. He started out making a bunch of wooden bowls. Now he's found a company that sells kits for different types of pens and he's been making a bunch of different style pens.

[uSER=19]@ryanator[/uSER], Just asked about the turning as my dad, who does some wood working as a hobby, recently started on turning. He started out making a bunch of wooden bowls. Now he's found a company that sells kits for different types of pens and he's been making a bunch of different style pens.

That's pretty cool. Does your dad sell them? I would like to get into specializing in a more concentrated area such as that. One thing I thought of was puzzle boxes. Look up Japanese puzzle boxes for instance.

That's pretty cool. Does your dad sell them? I would like to get into specializing in a more concentrated area such as that. One thing I thought of was puzzle boxes. Look up Japanese puzzle boxes for instance.

He's sold a few locally and I think hopes to sell more. Gave me on to carry around at work hoping for a bit of advertising.

Puzzle boxes would be cool. If you ever get into that I may commission one myself.

Yes, we are waiting for the city to approve or not in their meeting. Unfortunately they had to wait until the July meeting. As soon as we get a go-ahead, I'm building it. Before that, we will probably start doing the pavers whether they approve or not.

The City rejected our variance request. We were asking for an addition as minimal as possible, paid a $100 fee to the request and went above our means to try to comply with the regulations of submitting the request. It's good to know how things run, especially when my parents have paid all their taxes their whole lives and get poor service in return.

It's also nice how every neighbor next to my aging parents have barking dogs and their are 4 motorhomes sitting on the street throughout most of the warm months (unattractive, takes up valuable car parking space, and blocks views for safety). I also like when I go around seeing poorly done additions or metal sloppy carports slapped in the driveway of some areas (mostly older ones). It's funny, some others and myself even suggested that we should not have even put in a request and just built the carport and they wouldn't have done anything about it.

Wow I am mind blown, why would they turn you for such a simple things when you have all these oil companies slapping these homes together left and right. I would be pissed, who has the right to say what you do on your own property? As long as your on your property line then you should be ok. We added a deck years ago and no one said a thing, we didn't even asked the town. Should had just built it and said nothing to no one.

It wasn't me, but thankfully someone or groups of someones petitioned the city to have the junk cars moved out of town. It took awhile and several notices in the paper, but it was finally done. City looks nicer for it.

My inlaws live in Williston, that place looks horrible with the extra vehicles and campers and such. I can see why you are disappointed/upset.

I'm having a hard time recalling who, but it was, but didn't you [uSER=19]@ryanator[/uSER] work for a paper? Short of Martyrdom, Public Shaming is the only option now! ;)

j/k Martyrdom is excessive, but the Public Shaming is right on. If you can't make your point that your variance should have been allowed by pointing out the eyesores in the neighborhood, then move your parents out of town and then rent it out to somewhenelse.

Step 3.) *

Step 4.) Profit

• Like 1

It wasn't me, but thankfully someone or groups of someones petitioned the city to have the junk cars moved out of town. It took awhile and several notices in the paper, but it was finally done. City looks nicer for it.

My inlaws live in Williston, that place looks horrible with the extra vehicles and campers and such. I can see why you are disappointed/upset.

I'm having a hard time recalling who, but it was, but didn't you [uSER=19]@ryanator[/uSER] work for a paper? Short of Martyrdom, Public Shaming is the only option now! ;)

j/k Martyrdom is excessive, but the Public Shaming is right on. If you can't make your point that your variance should have been allowed by pointing out the eyesores in the neighborhood. Move your parents out of town and then rent it out to somewhenelse.

Step 3.) *

Step 4.) Profit

I like your thinking.

I have been meaning to bump this. Everyday on my way home I keep driving by this house on the way home. Guess what they are about the same gap as your parents, and guess what they are building? A carport. Just like you drew up. Funny how it's ok for someone else and not them.