Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Fluxoid help me choose which system

So lets help me choose which system. We have the xbox one, and we have the ps4. Let's weight the pros and cons of each system.

Xbox one:

Pros:

Loved the last generation was way better than the ps3 for gaming.

Gold makes sense.

Has Max Brotherhood game.

Love their controller.

Cons:

$100 more than the PS4.

Huge ass power brick.

Doesn't have Trine 2.

PS4

Pros:

$100 cheaper.

No power brick.

Has Trine 2.

Cons:

No Max Brotherhood game.

Playstation + is kinda weird.

Cross platform games will be perfect but I really want to play Trine 2 but also want to play Max Brotherhood. One is more expensive than the other also. Hmmm what would Fluxiod recommend?

Wii U?

What will my opinion be? I wonder? Oh that's right, Xbox One, no brainer. Anyone that suggests otherwise here knows nothing ;)

I know you don't play a lot of shooters, but Titanfall is awesome for those that do. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Peggle 2 are some fun Xbox exclusives (note Peggle 2 is on 360 as well now)

Below is another exclusive that I pointed you at a while back in another thread. Some of the indie games are starting to roll out on Xbox One as well. One will release today, Nutjitsu. Not sure exactly whether I think I want to play it or not, but some may like it. The video reminds me of pacman.

As far as price, yes, I know the MSRP on the Ps4 is lower. There have been Xbox One bundles with Titanfall or Forza 5 that even at $500 means you get a game and the Kinect for the extra $100 vs. just the PS4 console. If you find a bundle with a game you want anyway it can be a better value.

While you may not want the Kinect to play games like Kinect Sports, the camera quality and audio capabilities are vastly improved over anything you've seen from the 360. It works very well and provides an excellent picture if you use Skype at all, and I still really like voice commands in some scenarios (snapping / unsnapping apps, control video playback when busy or remote not handy, etc).

yes, the Xbox One has a power brick. There are pros and cons to that as well that can be a plus for either system. Personally, while it is annoying, it is not very hard to hide a power brick and for that reason I'm fine with it being external to save on the system's wear & tear from heat.

I could make more arguments for it, and if you get a PS4 I will harass you to no end, but you'll really just have to look at which system has the games you most want and all the other offerings (apps / capabilities) included that is going to best meet your desires. Each will always have exclusives. You mentioned a few examples, but one of them (Trine 2) is available on Steam, so you wouldn't have to have a PS4 to play it. On the other hand I mentioned Below, which is Xbox exclusive for console, but also rumored to potentially be available on Steam at some point.

I guess I will break down my likes and dislikes of the PS4 vs the XBox One and then list games of all 3 systems that are out now that I and maybe you would enjoy.

Online service:

Xbox gold is a better service in my opinoon and easier to understand than PSN and PS+. Sure PS+ gives free games which gold has matched. The games offered for PS+ are better at the moment but you only get to keep as long as you are a subscriber. With gold you keep forever. There are no games yet for the One but I have enjoyed most of the free games for the 360. Also, to play multiplayer on the PS4 you have to have PS+ so if you get the system and want any decent online features you have to get PS+.

System and features:

The One is a huge system compared to the PS4. I actually love how small the PS4 is compared to the One and no power brick either. Noise though it seems the One is quieter but I will have to pay attention since actually both are quiet. The One comes with a better headset out of the box. I know a big time gamer will just buy a better one anyway but for those who don't the one that it comes with is better than the PS4. The PS$ actually isn't even a headset. It's earbuds with a small mic on a cable so not actually a headset. Controllers I still prefer the XBox One but I can get used to the PS4 controller easy enough. I am interested to see what they will do or what can be done with the big touchpad thing on the center of the PS4 controller. Last thing with the controllers is the PS4 controller has the rechargeable battery built in which is nice whereas the One's has to be bought separately. Not a huge deal since you can just use batteries with the pack in controller for the One but would have been nice to just include it. Menus I prefer the One's at the moment but I have spent more time with it. Having the Kinect included, even at a higher price point, also adds to the full functionality of the One's system and abilities. As [uSER=6]@ndboarder[/uSER] mentioned it is a very good quality camera and can be used for so much.

Games:

Not many big games for either system at the moment. One has Titanfall which is a good online multiplayer FPS and PS4 has Infamous which is a third person action game. The One also has Max like you mentioned [uSER=1]@nodle[/uSER]. Other exclusive games I would like to mentiond and get eventually are Ryse and Forza 5. Killer Instinct also is a game I would like to play and maybe get someday. The PS4 has Trine like you seem interested in and I heard that the Rastogun game on the PSN store is good if you like that type of game. For me MLB 14: The Show is the Sony exclusive I wanted the system for at the moment but not your type of game. Both systems have Child of Light(GET THIS GAME!) as well as all the other multi platform games like NBA2K, Madden, Call of Duty, Battlefield 4, Assasin's Creed and etc.. At the moment the One has more games I see myself playing with Titanfall, Forza, Ryse and Max Brotherhood.

Now for the Wii U. Sure it's not the big hitter like the rest but the first thing I would like to try out on it would be the gamepad. Sure it's just a new gimmick but seems cool and would like to see what it can all do. The games on the Wii U that would be fun to play would be Zombie U, New Super Mario Bros U, New Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and the Monster Hunter game. They also have the Lego City Undercover game which sounds decent as well as NintendoLand. Also has the Zelda WindWaker HD remake for it. That doesn't even cover the many awesome old school games available on the Nintendo store. There are so m many games I would love to get and play from that.

Ya it seems like the Wii-u has the best games but the worst system, go figure. I really would like to play AC Blackflag but I think it's for cross platform. Another big thing holding me back from either system is the lack of the 3D support. I want to be able to unhook my other systems so I can just have one.

Ya it seems like the Wii-u has the best games but the worst system, go figure. I really would like to play AC Blackflag but I think it's for cross platform. Another big thing holding me back from either system is the lack of the 3D support. I want to be able to unhook my other systems so I can just have one.

Microsoft Windows PC MASTER RACE

PlayStation 3

PlayStation 4

Wii U

Xbox 360

Xbox One

I dunno. If you want to unhook all of your consoles and replace it with one box. It is the PC you want. You'll still miss out on the same exclusives if you just choose one next gen system out of the 3.

Well I do have a newly built PC that can handle anything. But there are games that need to be played on a console. I can't imagine playing a game like AC Blackflag on a PC. Just as I can't imagine playing TitanFall on a console.

Well I do have a newly built PC that can handle anything. But there are games that need to be played on a console. I can't imagine playing a game like AC Blackflag on a PC. Just as I can't imagine playing TitanFall on a console.

I use a Xbox 360 controller on my PC.

The type of games that you can't get anywhere but their exclusive consoles are Nintendo games. The others you can get ports, albeit of varying quality, on PC.

For as much as I paid attention, I thought that ports of this generation was supposed to be more comparable to each other because the were all using GPUs by Radeon.

Also, I didn't know that Titanfall was on PC. Its still too much $ and if it doesn't have a single campaign, I'm probably not interested. *shrug*

Sorry you are right [uSER=17]@WayneKerr[/uSER] about TitanFall, I guess I should have been more clear and meant to say FPS games.

So started to get more serious last night and started to research. What is with the Xbox one not doing games at 1080p? Most of the games are 720p or 900p? I think almost all the games on the PS4 are solid 1080p. I was surprised. What's up with this?

So started to get more serious last night and started to research. What is with the Xbox one not doing games at 1080p? Most of the games are 720p or 900p? I think almost all the games on the PS4 are solid 1080p. I was surprised. What's up with this?

Not sure but isn't it because they can't get better frame rate running at the higher resolution? Might be a developer choice and maybe some due to the system hardware power. In the end as long as games are good(fun to play) I don't notice much difference anyway.

Well every video I watched said it's because the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox one. It said they all have the same amount of cores but 2 are dedicated just for the Kinect alone. I am just kinda shocked that it can't handle 1080p.

Well every video I watched said it's because the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox one. It said they all have the same amount of cores but 2 are dedicated just for the Kinect alone. I am just kinda shocked that it can't handle 1080p.

Yeah I agree. Got to power that kinect to watch you better!

So another thing I think to take into account is some of the games coming to each console. For example the "The Order" coming to the PS4 looks good. Also you have Killzone and Second Son already out.

... I am just kinda shocked that it can't handle 1080p.

Just to be clear, the above statement is false. Yes, it is true that many games released are not at full 1080p, that does not meant the system isn't capable of it. The system is capable of 4k, so pretty sure 1080p is possible. Developers are still learning how to work with the new systems. Kinda like if you go compare Halo to Halo 4, or any thing like that on the 360. The hardware didn't change, the developers figured out how to make use of the full potential of the systems.

Putting any stock or bothering to worry about 900p vs 1080p is pointless, scratch it off your list of considerations.

Not sure but isn't it because they can't get better frame rate running at the higher resolution? Might be a developer choice and maybe some due to the system hardware power. In the end as long as games are good(fun to play) I don't notice much difference anyway.

There were a lot of 720p sets being sold. I think it has something to do with ensuring the lowest standard still looks good.

Or they are using an older technology. (listen to me carry on like I know ;) )

Well I can't really tell the difference normally, I was just kinda surprised that's all. I can see a game here or there but it's most of their games. Still researching...

Went to [uSER=21]@C Pav[/uSER] house for lunch to check out both system. Titan Fall was pretty cool looking. The fooseball game on the PS4 was nice and sharp and clean. But dam that xbox one's power box is HUGE! Both looked good. Need to decide on one.

Both have their pros and cons. PS4 I guess. Only game you would miss would be Max. Trine looks sweet so may pick that up.

Both have their pros and cons. PS4 I guess. Only game you would miss would be Max. Trine looks sweet so may pick that up.

Only current game you would miss. Well, not really there are other exclusives like Titanfall or Lococycle currently, but you may not care about those. Down the road you'll be missing other games (regardless of which system you choose if you choose only one). If you pick PS4, the list of games you'd miss a chance at in the near future would at least include Halo, Sunset Overdrive and Below (only the latter may really interest nodle).

Is Below really exclusive, maybe not if it will be on Steam, but Trine is on Steam too, so I guess we aren't counting PC.

Anyway, more than framerates or price, you need to look at which has the GAMES (now and future) and GAMING ECOSYSTEM you prefer, unless you plan to just buy them both eventually, and then you can just worry about the current games...

Well last generation I started with a PS3 then lost out to the xbox. But now 99% of games are cross-compatible. So I will be more safe this generation. E3 will be interesting to see what comes. Plus lets face it if one starts to overtake the other I will probably just get both.

As of now...

PS4 games I want to play:

Trine

Killzone

Second Son

Tomb Raider

AC Blackflag

Jmanz's wifes boobies

Xbox one:

Max Brotherhood

AC Blackflag

C Pav's wife's boobies