Sign in to follow this  
C Pav

New video game cartridge

One complaint I sometimes see with games is loading times. Games are getting bigger and bigger and more data has to be read from the now standard game installed to the hard drive for consoles. Isn't the slower hard drives they use a big bottle neck? It just seems using an SSD, having a version with it or allow a user to upgrade to one a would be a great idea. I know cost is one factor but with trying to have the fastest system it seems it would really help the overall speed and performance of games.

Isn't this a matter of the company securing enough SSDs to release in the global market? Like the iPad screen issue a few years back?

Also, I read the PS4 supports SSD drives.

So after [uSER=21]@C Pav[/uSER] complaining about the install of his new game I made a remark about video games being on a new type of device. I would think flash memory would be the way to go. It's quite cheap these days to produce. You could design and new style or shape, wouldn't have to be a usb style. Since it's memory based the transfer rates would be tons faster plus even hold more.

I agree. One thing I miss is cartridges. I know games were smaller back then but they were on flash type chips so much faster. Problem seems to be the push to go all digital which I am against. Not against digital versions of games if the user so chooses but the push to get rid of physical media. It's how the industry started and should be kept for those who want to actually have a physical copy of what they paid for. Boarder, we already discussed and argued this so no need to go into it anymore.

Hey I know what you mean [uSER=21]@C Pav[/uSER] but at least this is still physical and something to show. Digital would still be slower.

Cartidges were faster to load, but the production cost was high. If they went with a standard format like SD cards, as has been suggested here that could work, but to get them in the size required for most games isn't that cheap, plus they'd need to be read only and read speeds from them is not that incredible.

Is the HDD in a console a bottle neck? Yes, but not as big of a bottle neck as reading a Blu Ray disc. BD's are slower to read than DVD even, so if you were playing from disc you'd really see load times.

As far as HDD's in consoles, you could certainly put in an SSD, I've read many have done this. That's a catch 22 for the manufacturers. Everyone (including those in this thread here) complains about the cost of the new consoles already. They also all bitch because 500GB isn't enough space. Well, how would you like the cost of a (does that even exist yet) included in your new console?

I'm certainly not against something better than BD discs for games, but good/feasible consumer options aren't really out there. It would pretty much come down to a new technology needed or smaller capacities for affordable SSD drives.

As far as current options, you could replace the HDD in the PS4 with a smaller capacity (or a more expensive) SSD, or the Xbox One will soon (next update I believe) support external storage so you could use an SSD connected via USB 3 there.

Here's the deal. You can install an SSD but even then that doesn't take care of the main problem. That's the transfer speed from the disc (read) to the drive itself (write). Just like [uSER=6]@ndboarder[/uSER] stated. Yes you have a fast device internally but you still need to get the data off external. But about the fastest thing you can get on the market is memory writing to memory. Then you are only limited by the speed of the memory itself on both sides, and also the controller on the main device itself. But whether it be a SD card or any type of flash device it would be fast. The coolest part to me is the cartridge design could be something really cool as long as the interface was all the same. For example a Zelda game could be a gold triforce. Mario a mushroom etc. It could be really cool for the collector also.

Here's the deal. You can install an SSD but even then that doesn't take care of the main problem. That's the transfer speed from the disc (read) to the drive itself (write). Just like [uSER=6]@ndboarder[/uSER] stated. Yes you have a fast device internally but you still need to get the data off external. But about the fastest thing you can get on the market is memory writing to memory. Then you are only limited by the speed of the memory itself on both sides, and also the controller on the main device itself. But whether it be a SD card or any type of flash device it would be fast. The coolest part to me is the cartridge design could be something really cool as long as the interface was all the same. For example a Zelda game could be a gold triforce. Mario a mushroom etc. It could be really cool for the collector also.

I was going to post some pics of the PCBs inside the atari and nintendo carts, but I feel like that would clutter the thread. Suffice to say they are small. In fact, I think they were made larger to hold the artwork on the cart. [uSER=1]@nodle[/uSER], I like the triforce or mushroom idea. Imagine one of the triangle lighting up (while plugged in) once you got a third of the way through. Talk about achievement unlocked.

• Like 1

Ya I like the way you think [uSER=17]@WayneKerr[/uSER] . Plus it would satisfy collectors of games like [uSER=21]@C Pav[/uSER] .