Sign in to follow this  
nodle

Let's design a new gold sluice

So after watching Gold Rush I learned alot about gold sluice designs. Some are better than others and some designs just don't work. If follows pretty simple rules. Bring dirt in, wash dirt with water, large rocks come out, smaller dirt and rock get trapped in ripple when then have miners moss laying in the bottom to trap. Since gold is heavier than water it gets trapped. I have some ideas in my head.

I can't wait to see this.

What? I think there are quite a few designs that could improve this. It's old technology that can be improved on.

What? I think there are quite a few designs that could improve this. It's old technology that can be improved on.

I agree completely

Gold sleuth would be a good name for it if you get a breakthrough design. It's a sluice box though...

LOL my bad.

Do you ever watch Bering Sea Gold (had to check the spelling since I felt the need to correct you...) ? Most of them are excavating sea floor with large rigs, or essentially vacuuming up to the surface. I've not seen a lot of it, but one guy did have some innovative stuff, like big balloon type things he would take down with him, tie to large rocks and inflate them to move the rock, and a contraption that was entirely under water to handle suction, cleaning and pumping out the tailings without having to take it up to a large setup on a huge boat. He just had a little pontoon or raft type boat for getting the device from spot to spot.

Definitely potential for innovations.

Do you ever watch Bering Sea Gold (had to check the spelling since I felt the need to correct you...) ? Most of them are excavating sea floor with large rigs, or essentially vacuuming up to the surface. I've not seen a lot of it, but one guy did have some innovative stuff, like big balloon type things he would take down with him, tie to large rocks and inflate them to move the rock, and a contraption that was entirely under water to handle suction, cleaning and pumping out the tailings without having to take it up to a large setup on a huge boat. He just had a little pontoon or raft type boat for getting the device from spot to spot.

Definitely potential for innovations.

No but I have seen this type of mining on a smaller scale up close. Back where I am from gold mining is huge and you can even pan for gold in the rivers etc. When we use to go floating we would come up to these guys with these portable system with big vacuums that they would run on the bottom of the rivers sand and it would pump it up to the sluice boxes.

I am thinking about a rotating funnel design. That rotates upwards and the water flows down and then pulls the gold out the bottom.