Sign in to follow this  
C Pav

Child of Light - XBox One

I purchased Child of Light the other day and started it up. So far it's such an excellent game. Art style is beautiful sort of like Okami but more bright and lifelike. The game play is addicting with a bit of puzzle solving, world exploring fun mixed with old RPG turn based battles. The narrative and story is a big poem that gets added to with each chapter.

The enemies can be seen on the screen so you can avoid many if you choose to. You can get in a surprise attack if you approach and touch them from behind or get surprised yourself if you get hit from behind. You gain XP like your standard RPG and level up to gain points used to unlock skill tree paths. You choose from 3 paths each with their own abilities. One is your main attack type tree, one is your magic type tree and the other is a defense type. Other characters have similar but different in a way due to some characters heal or have other abilities to help you in battles.

The battles are time based and you share a timer bar with the enemy. It's a bar that sits at the bottom and your action as well as the eemies moves from left to right. Once it reaches the ready section you choose your attack or action. Depending on what you selected it then goes though the final timer portion until it reaches the end. Some selections take longer than others to perform depending on "cast" time. Times can be affected with spells to either slow down or speed up the actions. The other way you can slow down the enekies action is with help of your firefly which I will talk about later.

There are no weapons or armor to equip but you do get "gems" that you can apply to your weapon, armor or shield spot. Basically like WoW or Diablo. You can combine them with a "crafting" type feature to make stronger or different gems but I have yet to get into that. These gems are either found in the world in treasures or dropped after battles.

Another added element to the game is you have a side helper. It is a firefly that you control with your right analog stick. You can use him along with the left trigger to help you in the world or in fights. In the world you can control him to get out of reach plants that when touched release orbs. Touch the orbs in the correct order and you get bonus life and magic for your main characters. Otherwise you just get added firefly use. I can't recall the name of that but it is a bar that gets used up when you light up the firefly to help you. In the world you can hover over the enemy on screen and "blind" them while using the firefly power with the left trigger and avoid the fight if you want. In battles you can use this power to help heal your characters or slow down the enemies attack/action bar timer. You use the right stick to control the firefly then hold down the left trigger while hovering over your character to heal or your enemy to slow them down. Each battle screen also has plants that you can get with your firefly to get HP and MP points for your characters.

It's an awesome game that really has to be played to really experience how good it is.

About time some games start coming out for that system. I have heard talk on the internet about it being a good game though.

About time some games start coming out for that system. I have heard talk on the internet about it being a good game though.

The game is actually available for all the systems.

The game is actually available for all the systems.

Oh that's right there are really no unique games for systems anymore.

I have been playing this game a lot and probably about 3/4 done. All I have to say is get it. GET IT!

I have been playing this game a lot and probably about 3/4 done. All I have to say is get it. GET IT!

Need a machine first...

Says your review that's based on a lot of numbers (frame rate, resolution) at such levels you would be unlikely to really even be able to visibly notice unless you really really really looked for them or had software running to analyze them.

C Pav, when playing this, did you notice any horrible looking graphics, or did you see any frame rate drops?

Says your review that's based on a lot of numbers (frame rate, resolution) at such levels you would be unlikely to really even be able to visibly notice unless you really really really looked for them or had software running to analyze them.

C Pav, when playing this, did you notice any horrible looking graphics, or did you see any frame rate drops?

LOL no! That's why I hate these reviews. I like achievements over trophies so that's why I bought Xbox. I don't over analyze stupid things like frame rate unless it makes a game unplayable. My eyes can't tell the difference between 40 fps and 38 fps. Unless it's so big a difference why even bother caring? The only reason I would buy for one system or another is if it had features and extras that the other system did not like extra characters, levels and etc..

I finished the game last night and truly is a masterpiece. The art, the style and the gameplay are what I loved. 10/10. I will take a break from it but will play it some more to get a few missing achievements. It also has a new game + I may dive into.

We tried the demo for this. Seemed complex at first in the fighting sequences, but once you understood it the fighting wasn't to bad. Graphics are cool almost like a watercolor painting.